ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Instant Sex" technique Questions - Experienced Users?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Winn"Instant Sex" technique Questions - Experienced Users?
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 2:24:11 pm

I've got some questions for anyone that has a lot of experience using Chris and Trish Meyers "Instant Sex" technique.

I have messed with all these setting many different ways but I just want to make sure there's not certain optimal settings that I should be using.

1. What is the best amount of Gaussion Blur to use on the upper layer?
2. What is the best Mode for the upper layer? Screen, Overlay,Add?
3. What is the optimal amount of opacity on the upper level?
4. Do you do any color correction on the original layer (Bottom) or do you do all of your Color Correcting on the upper layers?

5. Does anybody have any samples of this technique on the net anywhere? Before and after would be great. I have seen stills from the book but they are not very impressive.

Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: "Instant Sex" technique Questions - Experienced Users?
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:51:59 pm

The Meyers' Instant Sex technique is one of those tricks that you play with until YOU"RE pleased with the result. It could be done any one of hundreds of ways, and none of the settings we'd offer would be quite what you're looking for.

That's the nice part about AE. You can play with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Danny WinnRe: "Instant Sex" technique Questions - Experienced Users?
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:50:45 pm

Yeah, that's what I suspected, just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook some important parameters.

Oh BTW Dave, you helped me with some Keylight technique a while back and it came out really good, took 3rd in the contest. Here's the final output,

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="//"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Thanks Dave.

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: "Instant Sex" technique Questions - Experienced Users?
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 8:47:35 pm

Pretty much what Dave said.. Every piece of footage is different... so the amount of blur, or the blending mode, or the opacity is totally dependent on the pixel values in the footage. Certain blend modes will make the footage much darker or lighter, others have a more subtle effect. Screen, Add and Overlay typically produce pleasing results, as do some of the light modes e.g. Hard Light, Soft Light, etc.. But again it all depends on the footage you are using.. This is one of those things where you just have to play with it and have fun. Its a good feeling when you find something you didn't even know you were looking for and get one of those happy accidents!

8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: "Instant Sex" technique Questions - Experienced Users?
by on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:26:20 pm

The attributes you set will be entirely dependent on the look you want to get.

If you want everything to glow (get brighter) then you'll use Add or Screen with a Blur.

If you want the contrast of the scene to go up then you'll use Overlay, Soft Light, Hard Light, or Linear Light and maybe a Blur or maybe not.

If you want a bleach bypass look you can use Overlay, Soft Light, Hard Light or Linear Light with a Tint (or Tritone if you want a color cast).

Also, consider using an adjustment layer with these effects and blend modes instead of a duplicate of the footage. You can then do your color correction on the lower footage layer and the adjustment layer will apply the effects to the color corrected composite.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved