ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

ram previo

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josue Ruizram previo
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 1:17:13 am

hello, how can I extend the display time to be longer, since I can only see 24 seconds

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: ram previo
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 2:48:15 am

Get more RAM.

Or increase the RAM allotment to AE in Preferences.

Careful, though...

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: ram previo
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 5:30:05 am

And, to cut to the real point:

Relaize that you often will not be able to preview the entire duration of your movie with RAM preview. If you really need to see the whole thing in real time, with sound, and at full resolution, you sometimes just have to render out a movie and watch that.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: ram previo
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:51:43 am

Yep, Todd's right. You can learn to work well within your limitations, rather than just throwing money at the problem.

I started working with AE in 2000 on my trusty ole G4, 1.5 Gb RAM, on projects with tons of layers and effects. You figure out pretty quickly how to generate longer previews by switching off what's inessential, lowering resolution and/or quality, prerendering, using proxies, region of interest, etc., etc.

I work on much more powerful hardware these days, but none of that's changed.

It just has to do with the limitations of today's hardware. Eight core, 64 bit, whatever, you'll still have to employ the same workarounds. $500.00 worth of new RAM might get you another 15 or 20 seconds, unless you add another effect or layer, then you're right back where you were.

Return to posts index

Josue RuizRe: ram previo
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:31:33 pm

Thanks for your answer helped me a lot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved