ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Map fly-through

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick ChristoffMap fly-through
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 10:08:45 pm

Hi,

Found a post (http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/870654#870658) that started to answer my question but wanted to dig a little deeper.

I'm building this project at 960x540px. I've made a map in Illustrator at 1280x720. The Illustrator file has 5 layers so I've imported it into AE as a comp. The idea is to use Sure Target to fly down close to map, then move around at "ground level" for the remainder of the piece.

I realize that continuous raster needs to be turned on for any vector file that I want to keep sharp. However, I'm getting a hiccup. My workflow is as follows:

1. Import .ai file in as a comp.
2. Open that comp and turn on continuous raster for all layers
3. Create "main" comp and drop "map" comp into "main"
4. Turn on continuous raster for "map" comp
4. Make "map" comp layer 3D

Issue comes up when I grab the rotate tool to rotate the map comp on its x axis. It won't rotate. If I turn OFF continuous raster, it does rotate, but the map is not sharp.

However, I noticed that if I drop the illustrator layers themselves in that came in when I imported the .ai file in as a comp, into my main comp, turn on continuous raster and make the layers 3D, they WILL rotate on their x-axis and maintain their sharpness. To be clear, the illustrator files are sitting in the main comp rather than another comp containing those illustrator files.

There must be a specific order in which to import and set up the layers so they can be 3D and stay sharp if I move in very close with the camera. This has been an issue I've worked around before so I'm interested to find out the correct way to do this.

Ideas? Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Map fly-through
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:07:03 pm

If you show me your a.k.a. broken video, may be I can help.. so you can use a rapid link to get it or post in this topic.

Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Nick ChristoffRe: Map fly-through
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:11:57 pm

Thanks but nothing is built yet. Wanted to get a grip on the issue first.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:35:26 pm

Ok just realized that inside the map comp and that comp's layer in my main comp BOTH have to be 3D layers. Now I can zoom in to the map and it's sharp. Silly.

Return to posts index

Adriano MoraesRe: Map fly-through
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:51:40 pm

I guess you´re forgeting to turn the 3D switch ON for the layers inside the precomp.

When a comp is inside a comp the Continuous Rasterization changes it´s name to Collapse transformations. Wich is something a little different.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS064964FC-424C-4e5a-A5C3-2160...

Hope I could help.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:54:07 pm

Yes that's it exactly. Thanks for confirming.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Map fly-through
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 12:03:08 am

ok, just open collapse transformation, you will see that all your problem is solved

Always cinema...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]