ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Computer Recommendations

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Robbins
Computer Recommendations
on Mar 1, 2010 at 7:08:32 pm

Hey first off sorry if this post shouldn't be in here, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.
Right now I have a laptop with only 4gbs of RAM which is nothing in the world of After Effects. Ive been using AE more and more and decided to look into upgrading the RAM and I found out 4gbs is the max my laptop supports.
Which brings me to my question, what would be preferable when looking into buying a new PC? Would gaming computers (Alien Ware, ect) work well with AE being that they have fast processors or no? And I am looking for a PC not Mac.
Thank you in advance for any help.
And sorry again for this post not necessary pertaining to AE.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Computer Recommendations
on Mar 1, 2010 at 7:14:23 pm

For the current version of AE (AE 9, also known as CS4), you want the biggest/baddest processor you can find, a 64 bit OS, at least 2 GB of RAM per core of your processor (4 GB per core is the best).

When CS5 comes out, AE will be a truly 64 bit program and can probably use even more RAM.

Video card doesn't matter much for AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:51:14 pm

I work in live events, so we put our laptops through a lot of travel, and I've found the gaming laptops haven't held up very well. Also, the styling of a gaming rig (glowing alien eyes?) can look a little unprofessional.

I'd look at "mobile workstations" from Boxx, Lenovo, HP, Sager, or Dell.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alperen T. Ayhan
on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:41:59 pm

I agree to 64 bit OS. If you want to buy a PC I strongly suggest that the CPU must be AMD. Because AMD proccessors are more stable and constant. Also cheaper than Intel. I use AMD since 2000 and it has never let me down. But it is up to you. Tomorrow I will post you a configuration both AMD based and Intel based.. If you want to buy a laptop my suggestion is ASUS or LG. But when I searched deeply I realized that the new version of notebooks don't have firewire(i-link 1394)input/output. So if you have a video camera that works with firewire you should becareful. see you tomorrow..

Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 2, 2010 at 1:29:04 pm

[Alperen T. Ayhan] "If you want to buy a PC I strongly suggest that the CPU must be AMD. Because AMD proccessors are more stable and constant. Also cheaper than Intel."

AMD is a great choice when budget is the main factor -- but Intel is the better choice for performance. I'd want an Intel core i7 if I were shopping for a laptop for After Effects.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 2, 2010 at 2:11:51 pm

I used to favor AMD's chips over Intel (their pricing can still beat them) but, at the current moment, AMD can't beat Intel's performance.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. Ayhan
on Mar 2, 2010 at 8:44:27 pm

For the laptops I agree to Walter and Michael about being Intel based. my 2 laptops are Intel based. but all PCs are amd.. whatever, here are 2 configuration in optimum class, as I promised yesterday. they are not at the top or in deep..

First 64 bit OS then,
Amd based:

Mainboard - ASUS M4A785-M AMD785G
Cpu - AMD, Athlon II X4 620
Ram – Kingston 2x2 , 3x2, 4x2 that is up to you.
Hdd - SEAGATE 1TB SATA2 32 MB Cache
Graphic - ASUS EAH5750/2DIS/1GB DDR5, ATI RADEON HD5750
Chassis - must be 450 or 550W. Brand: any of them you want

Others (monitor, keyboard, Mouse, audio system etc.) are your choice

Intel based:

Mainboard - ASUS AT3GC-I Intel945GC
Cpu - Intel Core2Quad Q9505
Hdd - SEAGATE 1TB SATA2 32 MB Cache
Graphic - ASUS EAH5750/2DIS/1GB DDR5, ATI RADEON HD5750
Chassis - must be 450 or 550W. Brand: any of them you want

Others (monitor, keyboard, Mouse, audio system etc.) are your choice

Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 2, 2010 at 8:54:09 pm

[Alperen T. Ayhan] " but all PCs are amd.. "

...then there is a problem somewhere.

If you look at the system requirements for the current version of Adobe Creative Suite -- at least the video portion of it, called Production Premium, you will learn that you should used an Intel-based system and not an AMD system.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alperen T. Ayhan
on Mar 2, 2010 at 9:19:29 pm

:)
Dear Dave, I have decided Amd after several tests. With Amd I have taken my definite results for PC. Laptops have pretty different system, they are more integrated and they have special chip/system softwares for the pieces to work together very well. I would like to tell them all but I believe my English is not enough. I promise if I find a guy good at English I will send you about tests. And also I am using production premium. As I have read the specifications of sys. req. I can't believe they are totally true. Ofcourse Amd for PC is my choice, this is just a suggestion, that's all. ( I have to add a deepnote; Intel is much more better for gaming, it is unrivalled)

Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:13:29 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "If you look at the system requirements for the current version of Adobe Creative Suite -- at least the video portion of it, called Production Premium, you will learn that you should used an Intel-based system and not an AMD system."

Here are the specs; if you use AMD, it must support SSE2.

I'd only consider AMD right now if upfront cost were the primary factor. Intel's current processors are simply faster and more efficient. So much faster, I think, that they'd pay for themselves over the first couple projects.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]