ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Licensing costs for animation with Google Earth Satelite Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karim DaireLicensing costs for animation with Google Earth Satelite Footage
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 6:44:10 pm

Hi,

I need to animate an earth zoom from space to a city and from there to about 10 different detailed locations.
It will be pretty much the same as this:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/earth_zoom/

I want to use Google Earth Footage but I can't get any clear information on rights and licensing costs and Google doesn't answer my requests.

I am sure someone went through this process here before...

- Is the 400$ year license for Google Earth Pro all cost if I use the animations on a free interactive Flash site as well as on a DVD and if not where can I find the exact costs for use in video online for DVDs or broadcast?

- What about the copyright notes, do they need to be on screen all the time? Can I place the info in my own layout?
I need plain satelite footage animated, city names, copyright notes etc will be placed on top in Flash according to my design... also can I edit the pictures to fit my needs, e.g. adding country borders etc.?

The online help from google sounds pretty strict, yet at the same time totally uncertain to me and I can't wait 4 weeks for a reply from google support with pricing details.

So if anybody who did a similar job, any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Karim

Return to posts index

Bill KellyRe: Licensing costs for animation with Google Earth Satelite Footage
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 10:15:40 pm

Check out NASA World Wind. Basically it's Google Earth but a lot of it is free for commercial use. You'll have to read the terms on their web site and apply it to your specific situation, but there's a pretty good chance you can save yourself $400 and get exactly what you're looking for.

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Return to posts index

Bruce WainerRe: Licensing costs for animation with Google Earth Satelite Footage
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:49:44 pm

if you notice in Google Earth, as you move around, the bottom of the screen tells you who owns any part of the image you see in the window. At times, four or more different companies may own a portion of hte image you're seeing. Google Earth stitches them together (as does Maps) to make what you see. I don't know the specifics, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'd need permission from every SINGLE one of those companies. Since Google doesn't actually own any of the images, I don't believe it can give you any rights to use them. The NASA product should have none of these issues, but it may have less detailed (close in) images since most of the images will be sourced by NASA.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]