ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render Stalls at Around 300 Frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin GrossRender Stalls at Around 300 Frames
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 5:06:02 pm

So I'm trying to rendere some keyed footage. It's just some folks dancing around on a green screen keyed out with Keylight. It's 1080i footage. Everything else in the project is working great. It's just the render that's giving me problems.

I've got about 15 clips. When I tried to render them out all in a row the first clip stalled out at around 250 frames in (approx 1/3 the total length). Later I tried just doing one clip at a time and it worked for two clips and then it stalled out again on the third clip. I've restarted several times (the only tech tip that I know). It's keeps staling.

I've got CS4 Production Suite on a MacPro...

I'm not very good at this so please let me know what other information would be pertinent.

Thanks

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Render Stalls at Around 300 Frames
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 5:41:51 pm

[Corbin Gross] "...keyed out with Keylight. It's 1080i footage.... It's just the render that's giving me problems. "

I STRONGLY recommend looking up the topic of codecs in AE's Online Help. You need to know about codecs when working in AE, and it's not anything that can be taught in a post. Look it up.

Then look at the codecs of the footage in your project -- highlight them in the project window to see info on the footage -- and read this:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Since you're on a Mac, I recommend changing the footage to Apple's ProRes 422 codec, available since FCP 6. It should have been done at capture, because native HDV does not stand up well AT ALL to any kind of multigenerational work. There are FCP tutorials on how to do this on the COW.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Corbin GrossRe: Render Stalls at Around 300 Frames
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 7:15:39 pm

That's got to be the problem.

So, um... how does one convert to a different codec. I recorded directly to a disk using OnLocation, I'm sure there's probably a setting in there for next time. I don't have Final Cut, just Premiere.

I promise to look into it further. I just need to know how to get these guys keyed out.

Thanks

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2010 at 7:18:15 pm

[Corbin Gross] "So, um... how does one convert to a different codec."

Adobe Media encoder. Lossless AVI. Get more storage if necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:24:46 pm

Or PNG or Animation codecs. If you don't have Quicktime Pro, get it -- best $35.00 or so you'll spend in the next 6 months.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:54:10 pm

I actually have Quicktime Pro. I'm not seeing any of those options in Adobe Media Encoder though. I know the Animation codec from rendering out of AE...

Maybe I need to download some of these codecs from somewhere?

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Render Stalls at Around 300 Frames
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 10:17:40 pm

First, key out your footages one by one then add to render queue. Choose video format as quicktime and when you come to color segment choose RGB+Alpha. this is important. then render it. but don't forget you have to render only one keyed footage. after this you can put them in a new comp together and do whatever you want.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2010 at 1:51:01 am

I tried doing the key one-by-one, no luck. I also thought I'd try to just import the clips into AE, drop them on the New Comp icon and render them out as Quicktimes but that didn't work either.

I've since tried Wondershare (which I'd purchased earlier for a different project) but it's not recognizing my files as having any length, and Handbrake was suggested a different place online but I can't get it to recognize anything not on a disk.

There's got to be something.

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:02:38 pm

Doesn't your editing application have a way to capture video? If you're using Premiere, the answer is YES! Learn how to use it, for cryin' out loud!

Also: have you ever been here...
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

or here?
http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Render Stalls at Around 300 Frames
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 8:03:09 pm

Dave is right, check both links. They are very helpful..

Always cinema...

Return to posts index

macdabbyRe: Render Stalls at Around 300 Frames
by on Mar 22, 2010 at 3:45:13 am

I have this same issue, but mine can't be related to the codec at all! I am usually working with DV50 when I first noticed this a year ago in CS3. Now I am on CS4 and I just had this problem on a project which has only a couple motion JPEG and plain text and very basic filters. in watch the reder queue, it gets stuck on "retrieving footage" for layer 4. Layer 4 is a text layer that's turned off!

Also, while rendering, the whole system is locked up, i can't even tab to safari or calculator. I would like to be able to do minor tasks while it's rendering but i can live without. But then when the rendering ends, my system is still unusable until AE quits.

The render queue says only 60% of 3GB is used - my system has 4GB installed. I am on snow leopard also and have run all the updates for system and AE.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2010 at 2:28:47 pm

[macdabby] "The render queue says only 60% of 3GB is used - my system has 4GB installed. I am on snow leopard also and have run all the updates for system and AE"

You still need to eliminate two other common causes of AE woes.
  • Trying to use Open GL when rendering? Turn it off -- it's pretty much useless.
  • Trying to use multiprocessing? You don't haver anywhere near enough RAM to make it useful, so turn it off, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]