ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to create an aura around someone

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael RiceHow to create an aura around someone
by on Feb 28, 2010 at 6:56:06 pm

I'm working on a short film about super heroes for my school and one effects I need to make is an aura around someone. Heres the scene, Its got a guy "A" running away from guy "B", but guy "B" freezes him while he's running. Now the director of the film wants me to make an aura around guy "A" to show that he's froze by guy "B." How do I go about doing this? I've seen some Super Saiyan aura tutorials on youtube, but they all have the aura on the person instead of around them and not touching them.

Sorry if this is really confusing..

Michael Rice

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: How to create an aura around someone
by on Feb 28, 2010 at 8:57:07 pm

If the actor is not moving in the shot (or the camera is not moving) this should be fairly easy to do with a mask and a blurred stroke.

Draw a mask around the shape of the frozen actor slightly larger and following the contours of the actor's body. Apply a the stroke effect and then a blur, composite with an overlay or add mode depending on the look you want.

If the camera moves in the shot or then you'll need to animate the mask path.

Return to posts index

Michael RiceRe: How to create an aura around someone
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:27:12 pm

I can't believe I didn't think of stroke! Thank you very much, this was lots of help!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How to create an aura around someone
by on Mar 1, 2010 at 4:24:12 pm

Brian suggested you blur the stroke. I would recommend, more specifically, a radial blur of some sort blurring outward. Probably what he had in mind anyway.

If you want to go with a little more detail, you could use the blurred stroke as a track matte for a layer containing fractal noise with animated evolution and colorized with Colorama, CC Toner, or whatever.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved