ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tacking Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett PutmanTacking Issues
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 9:50:44 pm

Alright, so I am dealing with a project where I have some great footage that is already sped up in some areas, making a total tracking nightmare. Basically, the frame rate at which the footage I am using plays back is already locked in, as it has already been exported from FCP, so I cannot simply change the speed at which it plays back and track at a normal speed.

More specifically, there are spots within the footage, where the playback speed is normal and then it ramps up towards then end. This is where my track gets way out of control.

I realize that in an ideal situation, I would track to the footage at a normal speed and they change the percentage at which it plays back after the fact, but I would appreciate it if anyone has any tips that would help me out with the situation that I am in.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Tacking Issues
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 9:56:39 pm

Are you using the Mocha AE plug-in, or the standard AE tracker?

Return to posts index

Brett PutmanRe: Tacking Issues
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 10:10:41 pm

Standard AE tracking. I am currently running CS3.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 28, 2010 at 7:17:29 am

Point tracking is no good in this situation. You'll have to hand track the best you can, estimating the forward-most position of the blur-producing object. When the footage speeds up you can ramp up the motion blur on your attached layer, maybe with CC Force Motion Blur.

I think the only other option worth your while would be planar tracking.
If the shot is critical you could download a trial of Mocha AE and give that a go. It usually works miraculously well, even on otherwise ridiculously problematic tracks, though I've never tried it with blurred subjects.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2010 at 12:37:23 am

Great I will give CC Force Motion Blur a shot. I have not even thought about that one yet. I think that is just might do the trick with a little finessing.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2010 at 2:35:47 pm

Actually, AE's own motion blur should work fine for this.
I had CC FMB on my mind b/c of an earlier post. CC FMB is actually designed for adding motion blur to objects or scenes whose motion is already 'baked into' a clip.

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: Tacking Issues
by on Feb 28, 2010 at 4:01:58 am

Manually track the problem areas.

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump
http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

by on Feb 28, 2010 at 6:57:52 am

I already know how to manually track footage, but the problem, and I am not sure if I was at all clear on this before, is that even if I do manually track, it is hard to do so because if the fact that half of my footage is playing back at a higher rate than usual. Because of this, blurring of the points that I am tracking to are more exaggerated durring camera movement and it is much harder to see distinguish what I am tracking to in a large amount of the frames.

Return to posts index

Bruce WainerRe: Tacking Issues
by on Feb 28, 2010 at 2:48:29 pm

Another (potentially unwelcome or impractical) solution would be to export the source with no speed changes from FCP (disabling the effects or making a duplicate project and deleting keyframes), do the track, then apply the speed changes to the track, so its matches in movement to the footage. I mean, track, then adjust the speed of the keyframes.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 28, 2010 at 6:01:17 pm

Ya, I was trying to find an alternative way other than re-exporting out of FCP, but I think that is the only way I will end up getting a clean track. Thanks anyways.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]