ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change Mask Starting Point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan MoyerChange Mask Starting Point
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 9:05:28 pm

I am attempting to draw a path for 3d Stroke by using a mask within After Effects.

I drew a path with the pen tool, thinking the path would begin at the start of the first point I drew. However, for some reason when I animate a stroke on that path, it starts at around the 3rd point that I drew, so when I start animating the stroke using the start/end commands it starts drawing it at the wrong spot.

Is there a way to change the "starting" point of the mask?

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Change Mask Starting Point
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 9:33:07 pm

Select the mask vertex you want to be the starting point and select "make first vertex" from the dropdown menus at the top of the program window ... I don't recall off-hand which one its in, but it should be pretty easy to find.

Return to posts index

Ryan MoyerRe: Change Mask Starting Point
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 9:36:32 pm

Hmmm, for some reason "set first vertex" is grayed out.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 27, 2010 at 9:44:47 pm

It looks like it's grayed out because I don't just have one point selected, but how the heck do I select just one point? If I click on one it highlights the entire path.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Change Mask Starting Point
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 10:32:14 pm

In the comp window, you should just need to click off the mask once to deselect it, then simply click the vertex you want to select ... I'm still on CS3 so I hope Adobe hasn't made such a simple thing more complicated in CS4.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 27, 2010 at 11:16:45 pm

For whatever reason, every time I was clicking on one vertex (even after deselecting them all) it was selecting everything. I just restarted the program and then I was able to pick one at a time.

Odd.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam PyburnRe: Change Mask Starting Point
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:25:10 pm

wow, i had been trying some silly work around on my last project for exactly this issue. thanks for bringing this to light. i wonder why the first pen point isn't set as the first vertex by default? seems like that would be a bit more intuitive.
thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]