ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can play MOV, but can't import it

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve RobertsCan play MOV, but can't import it
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:05:39 pm

One of my students has e-mailed me with a problem: she can't import a QT movie, but she can play it in QT Player.

The movie is DV -- straight up, old school, no MPEG flavors. I made it, so it's cool. It shouldn't be corrupted, since she can play it in QT Player.
She's on Windows.
She's using a Chinese version of the OS, it seems.
She can play the movie in QT Player, but can't import it into AE.

I've embedded a screenshot of the AE import dialog that she sent me. We're doing this through e-mail, so I can't drive her machine myself to troubleshoot.

Thanks ...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can play MOV, but can't import it
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:15:05 pm

Wow, Steve! A Chinese OS! You got students all over!

Has she tried exporting a QT movie in your favorite codec -- Photo JPEG at 95% -- and importing it into AE? QT Pro is a good thing.

And here's an image I won't forget soon: young women on Team Canada, wearing gold medals and smoking cigars. To heck with the people who said it was inappropriate -- those ladies worked HARD, they don't get great salaries like the men... it's their Stanley Cup! Let your hair down girls, you deserve it!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eddie YepezRe: Can play MOV, but can't import it
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:26:14 pm

Hi Steve, I'm not sure about what could be the problem but maybe you can find some help here:

http://aeerrors.myleniumstuff.de/?p=808

This apply to: AE 5.5, 6.0, 7.0, CS3, Mac intel, Mac PPC, PC

I hope it make sense for you since you create the file.

Eddie

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Can play MOV, but can't import it
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:34:54 pm

Thanks gents, I'll ask her to try to use QT to convert to something old-school like Photo-JPEG...

... dealing with my shame of her having to convert one of my files because it's unsuitable.

(Our hockey stars may be great Dave, but one of our Canuck writers opined that nothing is hotter than a female Olympic curler yelling "harder! HARDER!"

Hey, it was in the Globe and Mail ...)

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Can play MOV, but can't import it
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:04:45 pm

My hunch: This very likely has nothing to do with the movie. It probably is because After Effects is having a hard time processing the path-name for the file because of "non-standard" characters. Put the file at some boring location like C:\filename.mov and try again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Can play MOV, but can't import it
by on Feb 28, 2010 at 1:51:47 pm

Thanks, Todd.
Apparently, it works now, though I don't have any information on the solution. I'll debrief my student on Thursday and get back to you guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]