ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM & Audio Preview Slowdowns

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris LonesRAM & Audio Preview Slowdowns
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 3:24:14 pm

Hello All,

I got a new editing computer a few weeks ago, finally making the move from CS2 to CS4, XP to Windows 7 64-bit, etc. The specs for the new system are as follows:

2 – Qaud Core 2.26GHz Processors
12Gb RAM
320Gb hard drive
1Gb ATI FirePro 8700 video card
BlackMagic Design Decklink HD Extreme 3 Capture Card

Here is my issue, in AE CS4 I am having serious issues with slowdown, even in projects that gave my old computer no problem. The most frustrating issue is when I try to do a RAM preview or Audio Preview. I'm working on commercials that require me to time animations to a voiceover, so these previews are essential. After hitting the button, the system "thinks" for anywhere from 1-5 minutes, and then finally runs the preview while flickering the AE window rapidly in a way that keeps you from seeing it anyway. When RAM Previewing, I also get the "Locking Existing Frames" message up in the info panel. I've read a bunch of forum postings on MultiProcessing and Disk Cache, so both of those are switched off. I have also read that Quicktime doesn't play well in 64-bit, and most of my files are QT with the Animation codec. Could that be the problem? Could it be the Decklink Card?

I have almost reached the point of digging out my old computer, because the new, "better" one is causing my work to take twice as long. Any help is appreciated.

Chris Lones
Assistant GM - Production & Entertainment
Great Lakes Loons

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: RAM & Audio Preview Slowdowns
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 3:41:28 pm

It sounds like you're trying to use multiprocessing, but your RAM assignments are wrong. Read this:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

Other things to do: if you don't have the upgrade to AE 9.02, get it NOW. It's free.

And depending on the type of footage in your comp, the following may also be useful:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris LonesRe: RAM & Audio Preview Slowdowns
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 3:50:31 pm

Thanks Dave. I just checked, and I am currently up to 9.0.2 in AE, and I have my Multiprocessing shut off (I fought that battle the first couple days I had my computer, and ran into some of your other posts on the subject). I'm about 90% sure that my footage is good to go as well. Any other thoughts? I am really struggling with the idea that a machine with this much more horsepower can't do things that the old machine could.

Chris Lones
Assistant GM - Production & Entertainment
Great Lakes Loons

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2010 at 3:58:14 pm

[Chris Lones] "...I have my Multiprocessing shut off..."

...but you shouldn't have to do that with 12 GB RAM. READ THE LINK!

[Chris Lones] "I'm about 90% sure that my footage is good to go as well."

Make 100% sure.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

james robertsonRe: RAM & Audio Preview Slowdowns
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 3:58:21 pm

Exactly the same problem here, bought a $6000 workstation and installed adobe creative suite 4 and its performance is terrible.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:20:07 pm

That's nice. Have you taken the steps outlined above to no avail, or are you just complaining, having done nothing yet?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

james robertsonRe: RAM & Audio Preview Slowdowns
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:39:30 pm

I did adjust the memory settings as per the guidlines (also got all latest graphics card drivers and software updates) but there still seems to be a problem with AE hanging / freezing.

Previewing and scrubbing the timeline is also terribly slow in Adobe Premiere too so maybe I have a hardware issue i am unawre of.

Sorry if my post was moany but I am having a bad day...lol.

Spending hours searching for solutions when i should be working isnt my idea of fun.

Thanks for your help Dave.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2010 at 5:09:22 pm

[james robertson] "Previewing and scrubbing the timeline is also terribly slow in Adobe Premiere too"

Check your storage. If you're trying to play back in real time on a single hard drive, it's going to be tough. You typically need need an array to play files at the proper bit rate for video. Think about a bit rate of 100MB/sec, if not more.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: RAM & Audio Preview Slowdowns
by on Oct 6, 2010 at 3:06:24 pm

The After Effects CS4 (9.0.3) update fixes the "locking existing frames" problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jimmy BrungerRe: RAM & Audio Preview Slowdowns
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 11:18:30 am

Unfortunately it doesn't fix it for me!

Todd - if you've time please respond to my post on the Adobe AE forums re: the same problem with 9.0.3. I have a deadline tomorrow and 'locking existing frames' is knocking off about 50% of my productivity, so an allnighter I fear if I can't stop this incessant hanging around waiting for previews to kick in!!!?!

HELP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]