ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Upconverting SD to HD in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark sobelUpconverting SD to HD in AE
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 6:35:36 am

Putting render time aside, (lets assume that maximum quality is worth it to let a system run a week), has anyone done a side-by-side comparison between the AE plugins Instant HD ADVANCED, Topaz ENHANCE, and Boris UPREZ(standalone)? Or even between any two of them? (there was a thread in the SONY VEGAS forum that discussed these apps, but no comment on a direct comparison of them. Since After Effects hosts all 3, I figured this would be the place to ask).

It would sure be a worthwhile project. Especially with the Boris product costing only $99, compared to Topaz at $349 and Instant HD Advanced at $399. But in the end, for me it is only a matter of which gives the best result. Especially if the final product may be projected, or viewed on a VERY large HDTV.

Thanks. Mark.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Upconverting SD to HD in AE
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 3:54:08 pm

I don't know of anyone who has done side-by-side comparisons... yet. But it is an intriguing idea, one whose results would very interesting.

But in an effort to save you some hassle, I point this out:

You can burn a normal DVD, and the resolution is limited to 720x480. You can watch it on a hand-held DVD player, and its resolution is still 720x480. You can also hook it up to a hefty projector and watch it on the side of a house: my next-door neighbor does it all the time for neighborhood movie night in the summer. The resolution: still 720x480.

So you should ask yourself this: how close will the viewers be to this very large HDTV?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mark sobelRe: Upconverting SD to HD in AE
by on Feb 26, 2010 at 10:47:41 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply.

This stock material will be intercut with footage shot in HD, and needs to look as good as possible. So knowing which app gives the best results is quite relevant to my needs.

Hopefully someone out there has compared at least 2 of the products. I'm especially curious about the $99 Boris UPREZ --- though as I said, in this case quality trumps price.

Best, Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved