video size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Koyama
video size
on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:48:59 pm

ok I have a question:

if i have to deliver a video to be played in different formats, say :

- for a high def tevelision (render m2v for DVDS)
- web (I guess I could render as flv or quicktime)
- 20" screen computer (quicktime animation I guess???)
-ipod (I'd render as a MPEG4, I think)

can I do one video only in 720 by 480 NTSC widescreen????? does the one size fits all to apply do this?

because I was wondering when you put a DVD on the computer and it fills the whole screen, the movie doesn't look pixelated. But When I make my video (720 by 480 NTSC) fill the whole screen of a computer it looks very pixelated. So I was wondering how come the the DVD movie looks fine when it has the same dimensions as my movie (I'm assuming the DVD movie was also composed in a 720 by 480 area).

Can anyone explain this to me?

Return to posts index

Andy George
Re: video size
on Feb 25, 2010 at 11:35:21 pm

[Kate Koyama] "ok I have a question:

if i have to deliver a video to be played in different formats, say :

- for a high def tevelision (render m2v for DVDS)
- web (I guess I could render as flv or quicktime)
- 20" screen computer (quicktime animation I guess???)
-ipod (I'd render as a MPEG4, I think)

can I do one video only in 720 by 480 NTSC widescreen????? does the one size fits all to apply do this?"

1 size could fit all but not this one. You are going to want to set up an HD composition to the
specifications that fit your needs. For example 1080 or 720p. 720x480 NTSC widescreen is standard definition not high definition.

After effects is not compression software. For the best image Render 1 HD master from after effects and use some type of compression software to convert that Master into everything else you need.

[Kate Koyama] "because I was wondering when you put a DVD on the computer and it fills the whole screen, the movie doesn't look pixelated. But When I make my video (720 by 480 NTSC) fill the whole screen of a computer it looks very pixelated. So I was wondering how come the the DVD movie looks fine when it has the same dimensions as my movie (I'm assuming the DVD movie was also composed in a 720 by 480 area)."

This is probably because you are using after effects to create your M2V file.
You need to use software intended for compression.

-Andy

Return to posts index

Kate Koyama
on Feb 26, 2010 at 3:35:16 pm

Thanks! This was very helpful! I think I can use encore to compress my motion!

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Feb 25, 2010 at 11:51:07 pm

This is actually not a quick question by any means and it seems it would be very beneficial for you to do some reading on video formats and codecs ... there's tons of good info out there.

To answer your question more directly, no, there is not a "one size fits all". I'd suggest rendering from AE for the highest quality of the various formats you need, which it seems will be the HD TV, then using conversion software to compress that full-resolution master file to each of the other formats you need ...

Web - Yes, FLV is a good choice and the Adobe Media Encoder that comes with Creative Suite can do that for you.

If by "20" screen computer" you mean you want a file to play back from the hard rive of a computer with a screen of that size and for it to play full-screen, convert your HD master file to something like MPG4 or H264 ... the dimensions it needs to be depend on whether that 20" screen is 4x3 or 16x9 and the resolution the monitor is set to, but 720 by something should be sufficient.

iPod - I'd suggest just taking your HD master file into QuickTime and using the iPod preset to export a copy for iPods.

As to why your DVD looks ok when stretched to full-screen but your file doesn't, it's because how any of the end results look depends entirely on how they were compressed and you're probably comparing a DVD to a web-compressed file that had far more compression applied.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 26, 2010 at 4:44:55 am

Build your project in HD (1080) and monitor your work for safe areas to make sure it'll work in conversion down to SD (480).

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump
http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]