ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS4 Multiprocessing Settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris PanzicaAE CS4 Multiprocessing Settings
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:01:07 pm

I have a new MAC Pro with 2 Quad core 2.26GHz processors (8 total cores) and 16 GB of 1066MHz DDR3 RAM. I have a couple questions:

1: AE shows under preferences that I have 16 processor cores, but does show the correct amount of RAM (16 GB). Does it double the cores for some reason?

2: What would be the best Multiprocessing settings with my computer specs? I have read many differing responses, but is there a best setting?

Any help on how to set the different options under Multiprocessing in CS4 using my specs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS4 Multiprocessing Settings
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:58:24 pm

You have 8 cores. I have NO CLUE why AE says you have 16. Ignore it.

When using multiprocessing, you'll want 4GB for the OS and any other applications still open.

So you have 12 GB to play with. 12/8= 1.5 GB/core.
You can also use just 6 cores -- which is still darned good, and in fact may be preferable -- at 2GB/core.

Try 'em both and see which one works best for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris PanzicaRe: AE CS4 Multiprocessing Settings
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:31:17 pm

Thank you for your quick response, Dave. One other question I had is about the "Enable OpenGL" setting. I have read some places that if you activate Multiprocessing in AE CS4, then you should uncheck (disable) OpenGL setting in AE. Is this true? Should I do this?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS4 Multiprocessing Settings
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:49:02 pm

Open GL is a great thing to have for many applications, but not for AE. It just doesn't work right with Open GL, and it often does more harm than good.

The guys at Adobe don't use it when they render, which should be a clue for you. So disable Open GL for RENDERING.

Using Open GL for previewing? Different story, I'll be darned if I know why, but it's okay to use for previews.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS4 Multiprocessing Settings
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 7:29:36 pm

[Chris Panzica] "AE shows under preferences that I have 16 processor cores, but does show the correct amount of RAM (16 GB). Does it double the cores for some reason?"

The Intel Nehalem chips used in the current Mac Pros have a feature called hyperthreading which causes the OS to report 16 virtual cores instead of the 8 physical ones.

I believe that AE only uses physical cores when rendering, so only 8 instances should launch.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Anthony GiolaRe: AE CS4 Multiprocessing Settings
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 3:25:17 am

Same Things happens with my mac and its 2 Nehalems. 16 Cores reported. Boy having 16 cores would be amazing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]