ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

exporting stills

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas C. Gass
exporting stills
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:22:01 am

Hi,

Is there a way to export still frames, let's say 1 still every second? I've tried various things, but couldn't find a way to achiebe this. Thanks for all hints,
Thomas

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: exporting stills
on Feb 25, 2010 at 1:44:19 pm

See "Rendering and exporting still images and still-image sequences".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Thomas C. Gass
on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:00:13 pm

Todd,

thank you for your reply! I've had a look at this link, but it only describes exporting a sequence as stills, which is not my particular problem. I have a 3 hour recording from a survey camera and would like to render out just one frame every 30 seconds - can that be achieved with AE as well?

Thomas

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:52:32 pm

Sure; you'll want to use time re-mapping to speed up your footage.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 25, 2010 at 6:56:12 pm

Okay, before we go any further in this discussion it would be EXTREMELY helpful to know the following:

How will you get three hours of video into AE? That's a bunch!
When this AE project is complete, what will you have made? What do you need to deliver?

Specifics are good. They're vital to the proper work flow recommendation, in fact.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas C. Gass
on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:42:01 am

:-) Ok, here are more details about what I want to do:
I got a HD-Stream on harddisk, that was shot continuosly with a fixed camera angle showing the process of building up a large circus tent. The stream was already downsized to SD and upspeeded to make a time-lapse shot. In addition my client wants HD stills of every 10th second of the process for print. That's 900 stills - far too much to export one by one out of FCP, AE or Quicktime. So I thought it might be possible to render out a still sequence via AE - but as I said: only every 10 seconds one frame. Of course I could render out ALL frames and delete the unwanted frames, but that's 270.000 frames to render... :-/

Thomas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 26, 2010 at 5:23:43 pm

I know of no script that will accomplish what you need to do. But this will:
  • Place the footage in an AE comp, and enable time remapping for the layer.
  • Every 10 seconds, add a time remapping keyframe.
  • When done adding keyframes, highlight all of them and use the Toggle Hold Keyframe command.
  • Move the keyframes to the beginning of the comp, one keyframe every frame. You'll now have a something like 900 consecutive keyframes, almost exactly 30 seconds' worth.
  • Save the project and render an image sequence.

It's several hours of work to set and move all those keyframes, but it will do what you need.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas C. Gass
on Mar 1, 2010 at 1:11:51 pm

Hello Dave

thank you very much for your reply and your solution! Nevertheless, this procedure requires a lot of time... but it definitely is a way to accomplish the job. In the meantime I've found another workaround - I post it in case anybody else needs a similar solution:

- add the source file to a composition
- change the composition's framerate to 1 frame / second
- add the composition to the render cue
- in the render dialogue set the frame rate option to: Use this frame rate: 0.1

All the best

Thomas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]