ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

PLEASE HELP- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Krishan ThaparPLEASE HELP- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:11:56 pm

Hi, i just wanted to ask a question... Im shooting a music video in a studio this weekend, the studio is equipped with a greenscreen, whitescreen and blackscreen background.. Im bringing in three additional redhead lights and shooting on a Sony Z1... This is a really small project but id really like to ask about post production...

Does anyone know if what sort of effects i could superimpose on the green and white and black screens, if possible with examples.. just as ideas really..

I had an idea of some abstract black soundbars on a white background... im not great with after fx but if you could help me i would be really greatefull...

PS. im shooting this saturday..

K

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: PLEASE HELP- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:39:18 pm

[Krishan Thapar] "PS. im shooting this saturday.. "

Oh, so in other words, you want us to come up with creative ideas to save your little pink posterior, and we have no knowledge of the type of music this is, what the artists themselves may want, what your budget is, and what the director has in mind... oh, wait -- YOU"RE the director, and you don't have a stinkin' clue! And you need it in two days.

Postpone your shoot.

You have no idea what you're going to do. You will only waste your time and the time of others. Since you plan to shoot in a studio, it would also be a waste of money.

If I were hiring you, I would fire you immediately for your lack of preparedness.

When you have a good idea about what you want to to IN ADVANCE, and you have a storyboard IN HAND, you should be ready to think about the complications of the shoot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: PLEASE HELP- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:30:42 pm

First things first. You're shooting on HDV; it's crap for chroma key this informative page explains why.

Second. White and black backgrounds will not key at all. So superimposing across the whole video will be fine, but don't expect to put anything behind the band on the white or black wall.

Third. Ideas? No way.
We have no idea what style of music you're talking about. What sort of tempo, feeling, genre.
Heck, we could say any random word and it would be just as useful as trying to think of one. Here, I'm going to grab my iPhone, launch the Dictionary.com app, shake it and list off the first few words I get:
Holst (gustave Theadore)- English composer 1874-1934
Ammonium sulfate - used chiefly as a fertilizer
Keratoscope - an instrument for determining the symmetry of the curvature of the Cornea
Green Finch
Pressure head

Wait, don't go away! These could be useful!
Super block - an area of city land larger than the usual block
Camp shirt
Borborygmus - (you can look this one up yourself)

Where are you going?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: PLEASE HELP- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:32:06 pm

All joking aside, we really need some more info before we're going to be able to give any good suggestions.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Krishan ThaparRe: PLEASE HELP- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:56:51 pm

Ok then, yes, well i know you may not like this sort of music iam produceing for, but hey its a client and they pay the bills...

Ok, so heres an one I made earlier, im not really supposed to show you as its a draft:-

(you may have to sign into youtube)

The track iam produceing for i want to have waveforms and sound bars movieing in the background on whitescreen... a very simple black on white background.. You can see some example greenscreen shots i have done in that video, the genre i guess you could classify it as hip hop.. It is a basic project..

K

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: PLEASE HELP- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 10:31:27 pm

Hip hop? What's that? We mostly just listen to the classics like Liberace, Perry Como, and, if we're feeling like shakin' it up a bit and getting loose, maybe a little Jimmy Buffet.

Return to posts index

Bill KellyRe: PLEASE HELP- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 10:40:58 pm

If I was in your exact situation, what I would do is shoot everything on the greenscreen this weekend. When you have all the footage, transcode the HDV to a different codec (ProRes is great if you'll be editing in Final Cut Pro). Stay away from codecs like HDV and H.264 if you're going to be keying green screen footage.
With everything shot on greenscreen, you can then take the time to figure out exactly what you want in the background. It's just as easy to put a white screen or black screen with some animation on it behind the actors once you've keyed them out in After Effects.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: PLEASE HELP- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 11:01:24 pm

To expand on what Bill writes, you should at least come into the studio knowing how you intend to cut the green screen shots together. A storyboard would be best, and a shot sheet is the bare minimum.

If you have the capability to do so, you should also record the digital output of your camera directly to a computer hard drive through a capture card. By avoiding the use of the camera's tape transports or internal storage cards, you preserve much more of the original video quality, which is crucial to a good chroma key.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Krish NightstarRe:- Music video Greenscreen Backgrounds.
by on Jan 15, 2012 at 4:45:55 pm

Thanks Guys I know it was a little late, I had a storyboard and POA but as a director you usually have a special effects supervisor to liaise with who handles all that. Mine dropped out so you cant blame me really for wanting to ask what other people have done in the past in terms of CG. its a learning experience, many years on my client was very happy and I had some great CG elements & they got their work broadcast.

I really appreciate the aid (stupidly cant use the worked h.e.l.p due to forum settings) thanks guys! K

http://www.future-productions.com
Future Productions Films
The Future of Film...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]