ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fx4800 or CX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis yeungFx4800 or CX
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 5:58:31 am

I want to build a system mainly for composting with HD footage and using lots of plugin , which graphic will be better in render speed? CX or FX4800?
Many Thanks

Return to posts index

Theo VeltmanRe: Fx4800 or CX
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:22:54 am

I've never had a chance to use a CX card so I can't comment on them directly in relation to After Effects They seem to be skewed towards helping with compression via premiere from what I've briefly read. Quadro cards are a wast of money as OpenGL is widely ignored by most AFX users (Hopefully there will be a noticeable reason to use OpenCL in AFX5?). In my experience your best bet is to go for an upper mainstream "Gaming" card (normal graphics card (ATI 5000 series although there have been display issues with some of these cards so do some research first, or Nvidia 200 series although they're releasing a new line of 400's in about a month so it may be better to hold out for them)) and spend the money you save on A. more memory and B. faster processors. Unless you need a Quadro for a specific reason i.e. you will be running flame (in which case you'll be running linux and won't be using AFX), or you really want one for a 3D app (also not necessary in my experience) there really isn't a good enough argument over the extra memory and processor speed you can get instead.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Fx4800 or CX
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 1:55:31 pm

To succinctly agree with Theo:
If you have extra money to spend, get more RAM, a faster processor, or a faster/larger hard disk rather than spending the extra money on a more expensive graphics card. (This is with regard to After Effects alone.)

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dennis yeungRe: Fx4800 or CX
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 12:35:57 pm

Thanks a lot , I will buy a faster CUP system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved