ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

connecting 3D nulls with a line with perspective

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Scotticonnecting 3D nulls with a line with perspective
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:52:09 pm

I have 2 nulls in 3D space and I want to have a line connecting them that has real perspective. So when the camera gets closer to one end, the line is larger and the other end gets smaller as it goes back in 3D space.

I connected the nulls with a expression and the beam effect. But the beam effect has no real perspective when you get close.

Any clue on how to do this without manually placing masks or thin solids in 3D space?

Return to posts index

Bruce WainerRe: connecting 3D nulls with a line with perspective
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:34:57 am

sounds like 3D stroke to me, but you have to buy that...

Andrew Kramer had a tutorial on a similar effect using CC Particle World - its on http://www.videocopilot.net, tutorial #30.

How you'd make it a solid line out of this is beyond me, though. It'd take some work to make a line between two points, but if the particles never die (long particle life), then the biggest problem would be positioning the line between the nulls.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: connecting 3D nulls with a line with perspective
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:24:38 pm

You can use the Beam effect and put an expression on the end points to reference the nulls even though they're 3d
thisComp.layer("Line end 1").toComp([0,0,0]);
Where Line end 1 is the name of one of your nulls.
However the perspective of the line would be tricky. It'd have to have some expressions on the line size at beginning and end relating to distance from the camera.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Vince ScottiRe: connecting 3D nulls with a line with perspective
by on Feb 25, 2010 at 3:35:48 am

So you think it is possible, wonder if anyone out there would want to make a few $$ to make it work??

Like I said I have the beam working with my nulls in 3D space but it's the perspective that is not doing it for me. I could do this easier in Cinema4d but for the project I am on it just makes sense to try in AE.

Return to posts index

Renaud DuvalRe: connecting 3D nulls with a line with perspective
by on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:22:36 pm

I suggest you check the following thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/945108

There is an expression exactly for this by Roland R. Kahlenberg in there.

Cheers
Renaud

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]