ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

30p animation in 24p footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Hodgson
30p animation in 24p footage
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:12:11 pm

Hey all,

I'm working on a project that requires a 1080 30p animation I created to be composited onto a movie theatre screen in a 24p live action cut. I'm having a bit of a brain cloud right now... will I need to conform my animation to 24p for sync purposes when delivered to the post house doing the compositing?

Brad Hodgson

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 30p animation in 24p footage
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:20:23 pm

If you don't mind that the motion in the animation slows down about 20%, go ahead and conform.
If it bugs you, drop $500 for some frame rate conversion software like Magic Bullet, or Reelvision's, Twixtor.

And you'd better find out for sure about the frame rate. Do they want actual 24fps, or do they want 23.976fps?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brad Hodgson
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:30:21 pm

Thanks Dave,

What about Nattress?

http://www.nattress.com/Products/standardsconversion/GConverter.htm

Will that allow me to take a 1080 30p image and convert to 1080 24p?

Brad Hodgson

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:50:31 pm

I don't think so. Its own propaganda says something like, "NEW! Now we can convert 60P to 24P!!! Isn't that great?"

It doesn't say one word about converting 30P to 24P. In marketing lingo, a feature not shouted from the rooftops is a feature that doesn't exist. It looks like you're stuck using frame rateconversion software... but at least you can get a tryout version to see if it'll work for you.

Y'know, you could just open up the old 30P AE project, change the 29.97 comp to 23.976 and move some keyframes around.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 23, 2010 at 9:06:21 pm

If your animation is generated entirely within AE (no external movies or image sequences), you can simply drop your 30p comp into a 24p comp. Make sure that "Preserve frame rate" in the original comp's Advanced settings is turned off. Double-check that any camera moves or quick animations are acceptable at the lower frame rate. Voila - now your animation is 24p.

If you do have external footage, you'll want to use some sort of optical flow-based technology like the ones Dave mentioned; I'm a Twixtor fan, but you could also try AE's pixel motion-based frame blending.

Don't ignore Dave's advice on double-checking the frame rate -- 23.976 fps is often called 24p, but the difference is not negligible!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brad Hodgson
on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:33:45 pm

Great, thanks for the advice, Walter..., and you too, Dave.

Brad Hodgson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]