ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Apply more than one version of Keylight

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Beastall
Apply more than one version of Keylight
on Feb 23, 2010 at 11:17:04 am

In one shot I have a slightly different colour of green. How do I apply two versions of Keylight to focus one on the main green that looks fantastic when keyed, and the other to just get rid of that little patch?

I don't want to affect my main Keylight version because it will affect the quality of the key on the main subject.

I have tried to just add two versions of keylight but one cancels out the other.

I am using After FX CS3

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Apply more than one version of Keylight
on Feb 23, 2010 at 12:41:07 pm

Why not use Color Key or one of the other keying effects?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Phil Beastall
on Feb 23, 2010 at 3:42:21 pm

Because they're rubbish!

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:06:36 pm

Whoa there, tiger. Michael isn't suggesting using Color Key for the primary key. Only to remove a small patch, which it is actually excellent for, not to mention fast to render.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:18:10 pm

Thank you Joey, that's what I meant.
Sorry, in the interest of providing you with a swift solution (not to mention the fact that I was typing it on my iPhone on my way in to work this morning) I was a little too brief.
I was suggesting using it as the first plugin in the stack, to remove the unwanted shade which also makes Keylight render faster, as Joey mentioned.

You might also check out this tutorial.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:24:36 pm

...and if this "small patch" doesn't come in contact with the edges of the subject, a simple animated garbage matte may also do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phil Beastall
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:28:09 pm

I understand. I think my dry 'sense of humour' doesn't come across online! Apologies for that.

I would definitely use color key for any additional areas that do not come in contact but unfortunately, this area has a cafe table and people sat in front. So would need to be quite a good chromakeyer.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:42:44 pm

Ah, I think I understand now. If the tutorial I linked to doesn't do it for you, you can always do two different layers keyed differently with Keylight. One layer with the bad area masked out and another layer with a reverse of the other mask.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Bill Kelly
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:33:49 pm

Have you tried pre-comping the original layer that you applied keylight to, then applying keylight to the precomp? That may work. Otherwise, you could try prerendering the keylight layer with the little patch of green showing, then apply keylight to the prerender.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]