ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering Errors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dragutin DimitrijevicRendering Errors
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 11:14:19 pm

Hi, I'm pretty new to after effects, so I have no idea what is happening. I have a 4 min movie with a little bit of intro, then several compositions which have waterfalls of images falling down (like the marvel intro). I have a soundtrack going throughout the whole thing.

I exported it to flash player, including the music. It starts to play fine, but after about 1 min the screen goes red. The music keeps playing, but the screen stays red.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks~

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering Errors
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 11:41:22 pm

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dragutin DimitrijevicRe: Rendering Errors
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 12:12:34 am

The only things I have imported are .jpgs and .pngs. I have used these compositions to create another composition, so unless there are strange formats that adobe has put on their ae files, I don't think I have imported any formats which could have the codecs you list.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Rendering Errors
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 1:52:33 am

Any chance you've used a demo version of a third-party plugin that only allows you to render the first minute?

If not, do you have anything red in your comp that might be obscuring the rest of the image at one minute? For example, a red 3D layer that may be overtaking the rest of the image as it moves in 3D space?

Return to posts index

Dragutin DimitrijevicRe: Rendering Errors
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 7:49:52 pm

No, no plugins installed at all. completely vanilla. Nothing red either. I was able to render it with h261 encoding, but things are a little shaky and I'm definitely going to need to re-render it. It seems that the flash exporter is just strange...

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Rendering Errors
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 11:27:32 pm

[Dragutin Dimitrijevic] "I exported it to flash player" ... "It seems the flash exporter is just strange"

First, you should never "export" from AE ... always render using the render queue ... for explanations as to why, search the forum for posts with both terms.

Second, you didn't initially mention what your final output would be, but it now sounds like its web video ... straight from AE isn't the best way to generate web video files so you might try rendering a lossless file from AE and using compression/conversion software to convert that to FLV, H264 or whatever web format you need.

Also, if you have OpenGL on, try turning it off ... I've seen it create all kinds of otherwise unexplainable errors in AE.

Hopefully, if you do all of those things, one of them will resolve the issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved