ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

best frame size for video projection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiago Casais
best frame size for video projection
on Feb 22, 2010 at 11:33:15 am

Hello,

Im working on a video that is to be projected on a 10*9 meters screen.
I chose a 1000*900 frame size and im working in square pixels.
Are these reasonable settings or should i be working with more specific ones in order to avoid any problems (distortions) ?
File size is an important issue so i need to keep it as small as i can. Would it be possible to work with even smaller frame size and still get a quality projection ?
Thanks for your time and congratulations on your work so far.
best regards

Tiago Casais
Portugal

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: best frame size for video projection
on Feb 22, 2010 at 3:11:47 pm

The size of the screen has nothing whatsoever to do with what resolution you're working in. What you do depends on the method of projection. If it's from a DVD player, you're stuck with NTSC or PAL DVD standards. If it's from a Blu-Ray, then you've got 1920x1080. If it's from a computer, then it depends on the computer's output resolution and the projector's resolution.

Check with your client, they should either have these specs or should be able to put you in touch with the venue's tech guy.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tiago Casais
on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:37:15 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Michael,
Unfortunately for us designers, checking with clients is not so easy sometimes...
Anyway, assuming the video will be played in a computer, and the video frame size has the same ratio than the actual screen (10:9), will it be possible to cover the all the screen area with the video ?
Is it reasonable to assume that or will it highly depend on the computer and projector specs?
regards

Tiago

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Feb 22, 2010 at 6:30:29 pm

[Tiago Casais] "Unfortunately for us designers, checking with clients is not so easy sometimes... "

Then you stop work until they get back to you. They have a responsibility to give you the tools and information to allow you to do the work for which you were contracted.

"Anyway, assuming the video will be played in a computer, and ... "

ASSUME NOTHING. You have a responsibility to know the technical specs of what you deliver. I tell my students this: if your client has bought time on the Super Bowl broadcast for $100,000, and you mess up the delivery specs so they lose the time slot, they will try to sue you for the $100K. Whether they win or not, your reputation is shot. That's an extreme example, but you should still ASSUME NOTHING and you must attempt to contact them for the COMPLETE specs. If they do not reply, cover your butt with an "it's your choice to ignore me, so now it's not my responsibility" e-mail CC'ed up the line. (Not a direct quote -- you get the idea.)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 22, 2010 at 6:35:47 pm

I agree with Steve although he has underestimated the cost of a Super Bowl spot by several million dollars... :)

[Tiago Casais] "will it be possible to cover the all the screen area with the video ?
Is it reasonable to assume that or will it highly depend on the computer and projector specs?"

It may be possible to cover the whole screen area with the video, that would depend on the computer and projector specs. Without a specific resolution from them though, you can't really start work. You can perhaps do some treatments, but I don't see how you can start building anything yet.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tiago Casais
on Feb 22, 2010 at 6:49:44 pm

Ok guys, thanks for the tips.
I really have no experience in dealing with projectors so its good to know that.
Steve, thanks for the advice, im squeezing them "as we speak".
best regards to both

Tiago

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Feb 22, 2010 at 7:59:25 pm

[Tiago Casais] "Steve, thanks for the advice, im squeezing them "as we speak". "

Don't go there, man.

;-)

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Feb 22, 2010 at 7:58:31 pm

Hey, I'm old! I was doing Super Bowl spots when the boys were still wearing leather helmets! And we had to animate with flip books! Zoetropes! Yeah!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 22, 2010 at 9:29:43 pm

Actually, you're probably not too far off the mark... as long as you remember that local stations DO get avails adjacent to the Super Bowl. $100K for a :30 in Toronto might be a little low, but not much.

Heck, I'm in a market with only about 300K households, and we could charge $7-8K.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

gurpreet makkar
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:34:04 am

please tell me about how to calculate frame size of mpeg video file...........means size of I, B, p Frames

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 9, 2011 at 3:04:04 pm

[gurpreet makkar] "please tell me about how to calculate frame size of mpeg video file...........means size of I, B, p Frames"

Your question doesn't really have anything to do with this thread -- I'd try starting a new thread in the Compression techniques forum [link] to get better answers (though my guess is that you are looking for an MPEG2 stream analyzer).

I think you'll need to be a bit clearer about what you're asking in your new post, too. Wouldn't the I, B, and P frame sizes (dimensions in pixels) naturally match the size of the stream?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 22, 2010 at 8:29:46 pm

It's not just the frame size that you need to concern yourself with. You should also verify frame rate, and find out specifically what format you are expected to deliver.

All these details will be determined by the requirements of the on-site playback system.

If you are working for an event production company, they should be able to give you these details. If you are working directly for the end client, they should put you in touch with the event's producer so you can get the information you need.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tiago Casais
on Feb 22, 2010 at 10:59:37 pm

Thanks Walter !
Appreciate the tip.
regards