ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

No audio/ soundkeys

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan TweedyNo audio/ soundkeys
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 10:12:35 pm

I am making a logo intro. I have rows of lights synched up to my song using sound keys. Its a simple flicker effect. My problem is that if I have the song in more than one comp it won't play therefore making the lights not flicker. I have the lights pre composed into a separate layer than my main comp with the audio. Is there a way to work around this without having to move stuff?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: No audio/ soundkeys
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 10:57:07 pm

Soundkeys uses the audio layer to make keyframes and such. So you need to have the appropriate audio layer in your nested comp, or Soundkeys has no audio to listen to.

You can always turn off the little speaker icons in the main comp if all those music tracks get overpowering.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan TweedyRe: No audio/ soundkeys
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 11:06:00 pm

Right, I understand that part. My problem is that when I put the track in the pre comp that has sound keys and then put that comp in my main comp which also has the audio, neither of them work. If I just leave the audio in the comp with sound keys it won't play in my main comp. If I take it out of the comp with sound keys it will play in my main comp but then sound keys won't register it. Sorry if I'm making this confusing and thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2010 at 11:12:39 pm

You're right, I'm not following you. What happens in the nested comp if you turn off the speaker icon? Does Soundkeys still see the audio & frequency?

Then in the main comp, can't you simply have an audio so you can listen to it?

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is... oh, wait. If this audio is compressed, as in mp3 or ac3, you need to convert it to either aiff or wav. AE doesn't play nice with compressed audio.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ryan TweedyRe: No audio/ soundkeys
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 11:43:22 pm

It doesn't make any sense to me... It's not compressed. It just won't play if the song is in both comps. I did convert it to an aiff file in compressor if that matters. I'm new to after effects if you can't tell. I just moved them all to my main comp by copying and pasting. It works but now my main comp is messy. small price to pay. Any advice for future projects involving sound keys or audio in general?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2010 at 11:49:41 pm

So, you're an AE rookie.......

Do you know the difference between a real-live RAM preview and simply hitting the space bar? Check this out:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: No audio/ soundkeys
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 12:58:25 am

It's a bit off topic, but you don't have to jump through all of Compressor's hoops to get an aiff. Just export the track from Quicktime Player and get back about five or ten minutes of your life.

Not the awful Quicktime Player X, but Quicktime 7, which is in the Utilities folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]