ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

weird color problem and render crash

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Niborweird color problem and render crash
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 1:01:30 pm

hi,
i got a 1920 scene. about 120 secs long
in the scene are 10 panels moving around which show looped videos. the source of the videos is also 1920.
there is a lot of movement, reflections and motionblur going on.

once i am about 2 thirds into the scene and most of the panels can be seen at once onscreen, the rendering becomes very slow (this doesn't concern me) and i get weird color errors. some of the looping videos on the moving panels become just green. (i doeblechecked, the source does not have this error)

mostly a few frames later the rendering stop with an error. error4 reading frame from file e:\bla\bla\seq_xx.mp4 86::2

i thought it might be a memory problem, since it only happens later in the scene when most of the panels are on screen at once and the rendering gets very slow.
i tried a few times rendering again - starting from the frame where the crash occured. but then the green shows up almost immediately and it still crashes.

it seems to work fine if i put stills on the panels instead of movies.

any ideas? : )

win7, 8gigs, 2.4quad, cs4,

EDIT: i just rendered the scene using stills instead of videos. the rendering was lightning fast without any errors.
so i am pretty sure it's a memory problem - but i don't know how to fix this yet.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: weird color problem and render crash
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 2:37:57 pm

Sounds like a codec issue rather than a RAM issue ... although 8Gb isn't a ton of RAM, it should be enough. Also, if you have OpenGL on, you might try turning it off too.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: weird color problem and render crash
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 4:55:13 pm

If the problem is related to the codec used in the source footage item, I recommend transcoding the source to an intermediate format and using that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: weird color problem and render crash
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 6:13:47 pm

To elaborate on what Todd writes:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marc NiborRe: weird color problem and render crash
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 10:21:58 pm

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
I guess I'll go for the reencoding... Dave's in depth explanation made a lot of sense to me.

My source material is 1920 AVCHD PAL
I edited it in Premiere to suit my needs and then encoded it to mp4 which i used later in After Effects which turned out to be a bad idea.

Can anyone make a recommendation what coded and numbers most likely should work?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: weird color problem and render crash
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 10:50:41 pm

Well, I'm a Mac guy. I recommend either Quicktime's Animation or PNG codecs -- they're lossless.

You're a Windows guy? I hope a fellow Windows person shows up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: weird color problem and render crash
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 11:30:29 pm

I work on Macs and Win machines and prefer those same codecs for AE work on both platforms, though it also depends on your workflow ... I sometimes use an Uncompressed codec out of AE when the hefty file sizes are less important to me than avoiding re-rendering in FCP.

By the way, sorry I didn't mention the solution (transcoding) when suggesting the issue might be the source codec ... figured that was implied.

Return to posts index

Marc NiborRe: weird color problem and render crash
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 11:39:08 pm

I guess I'll take the uncompressed road then.
The clips are not too long. only about 15 secons each

thanks for your help guys : )

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: weird color problem and render crash
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 1:03:27 am

If you have Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously on, you might try switching it off. I remember it was known to cause rendering errors in CS3. They might have fixed it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]