ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Remove Object in Static Shot?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex MeyersRemove Object in Static Shot?
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 5:29:32 am

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to determine the best technique to remove an object from a shot. Nothing passes in front of the object, and there is no camera movement.

I've tried the clone tool -- using a "clean" part of the shot to paint over the object. it looks alright, but the pixels start to look messy, kind of like a bad "healing brush" job in photoshop. Even though clone tool isn't perfect, it's the best option I've found, since I need to make sure I recreate the digital grain in the cover up (which is why I don't just bring it into photoshop and use the patch tool.)

Thoughts on an alternative to the clone tool? Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Remove Object in Static Shot?
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 1:19:29 pm

Could you post a screenshot?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Remove Object in Static Shot?
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 8:37:48 pm

Joey's right about the screenshot. You should do this first. But if you don't have the time to post a screenshot and wait for a reply, you could try this:
  • Take about 4-5 frames into Photoshop, and use the healing brush on them
  • Export an image sequence from Photoshop
  • Import it into AE
  • Conform it to the proper frame rate in the interpret footage settings
  • Loop it a LOT of times in the same interpret footage settings
  • Use the footage as a clean plate in the comp, and make a garbage mask around it

Hey, it might give you just enough pixel change wiggle room to look convincing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: Remove Object in Static Shot?
by on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:03:12 am

Depending on the shot, i even often prefer to use just a single still image rather than a loop of 4 or 5. With more than one, you need to be more careful with your healing work so there is no boiling or rippling. With a single frame you can just clean it up nicely and you won't have to worry about that.
If you then run some noise/grain through the image, it can often integrate really nicely. Granted, retaining the ORIGINAL grain is going to be most authentic, but you can still get a very good result. The Add Grain effect has so many customization options.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved