ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

color bleed with blue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Crankcolor bleed with blue
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 12:41:06 am

Hey Everyone,

I've got some type created in AE that is bright blue with a spot light. When I render out the animation, the blue seems to be bleeding. I see on other posts that red can be a problem with an allpha....but this is just plain type. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: color bleed with blue
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 1:40:30 am

What codec are you using for your output? Many codecs are especially bad about artifacts and blockiness in blue.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Heather CrankRe: color bleed with blue
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 2:00:52 am

I was using sorenson (just plain sorenson). Is there a better codec, or a shade of blue that works better than others?

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: color bleed with blue
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 4:33:52 am

Absolutely there are better codecs than Sorenson. Sorenson is visually Lossy, especially in areas of subtle tonal gradation. Not to mention its compressed chroma subsampling. Even the admirable Sorenson 3, which had a good run for a while.

The After Effects default and de facto standard is the visually Lossless Animation codec, It's the king of intermediate codecs. Its chroma subsampling is 4:4:4:4, supporting 32 bits per channel. The only really arguably superior formats being the good ole tiff sequence, open EXR, and, well, not many more.

If you're on a mac, and will be working in FCP, the pro res codecs will do you a treat, being an excellent format for quasi-uncompressed final output, before compression for your medium of choice.

Use ProRes 422 HQ for the best rendering of graphics and composites, and Prores 4444 if you need an alpha channel for further compositing in FCP.

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: color bleed with blue
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 5:43:09 am

I use Animation for most projects - which include commercials for broadcast.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: color bleed with blue
by on Feb 24, 2010 at 12:26:29 pm

All the codecs mentioned here are good, but intermediate codecs, best used when further processing is required. Sorenson is a delivery codec, used for the final product on the web or test clips to clients.

For what purpose were you compressing this specific video clip to Sorenson? Is this clip destined for further processing, for client tests or for the web?

If destined for further processing, the suggested codecs would be great. However, if I were compressing it for client tests, I'd prefer H.264.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved