ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What resolution should I be working in?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Jenkis
What resolution should I be working in?
on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:53:03 pm

Kind of a newbie question here, but I am working on a video in Sony Vegas that will be output at 720x480 (1.21:1 AR). I want to do the titles in After Effects.

So, I started an After Effects project and made a new comp at the same resolution (720x480) with the same AR (1.21:1).

When I render that out (as a .mov), it looks great when I play it back on my computer. However, as soon as I bring it into my video editor (Vegas Pro in this case) it looks muddy and blurry, nowhere near as sharp. Also, even though it's the same resolution and AR, it doesn't quite fit the screen right (there are small black bars on the side).

Should I be doing my AE projects at a higher resolution than what the resolution of my project in my video editing software will be? Would that make them look sharper once they're imported? Also, would maybe using an image sequence for output be better than a .mov?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: What resolution should I be working in?
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:32:42 pm

It's not a matter of resolution, rather, what you chose as your format - you say .mov, but that's just the container. Try rendering Animation as your format under Format Options and choose Best quality under the compressor.

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump
http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Feb 21, 2010 at 5:13:54 am

.mov will be at the end of your uncompressed animation codec as well. Check your vegas settings. AE most likely spit out exactly what you told it too. Vegas is probably the culprit. Are you going mac to pc? And why not FCP or is Vegas required? Quicktimes player itself is weird to me, but im no codec expert. Some things play back ok for me, some with bars and I dont get it. I have QT Pro. I rely on strictly AE output to my 'clients'.

good luck

Scott

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2010 at 8:45:22 pm

[Bill Jenkis] " I am working on a video in Sony Vegas that will be output at 720x480 (1.21:1 AR). I want to do the titles in After Effects... When I render that out (as a .mov), it looks great when I play it back on my computer. However, as soon as I bring it into my video editor (Vegas Pro in this case) it looks muddy and blurry..."

720x480 leads me to believe you shot this in DV. Well, DV is just not a good codec for graphics. In fact, it stinks.

Now understand, I'm not a Vegas guy; I'm an FCP guy. In FCP, you have the option to change the codec of the edit timeline. If you can do something similar in Vegas, you may find the result much more satisfying.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anthony Giola
on Feb 22, 2010 at 4:03:39 am

After importing your AAE titles into vegas right click on the title in the timline and select properties. Now UNcheck "maintain aspect ratio" this will get rid of the black lines. for the blurriness of the titles when rendering make sure you have the render settings as best and an h,264 or wmv codec if you are making this for web playback or if its for a client use AVI with no compression. Although from the sounds of it you are not making this for a commercial use. In fact i am wondering why you would have a 500 dollar software and not know how to fix aspect ratio differentials?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]