ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cubic Panoramas in After Effects confusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benedict KimCubic Panoramas in After Effects confusion
by on Feb 20, 2010 at 5:20:18 pm

Hi, I've been publishing VR in flash for the web without problems and quite content. Recently, a client asked for a .mov file for video and then more followed in a rush.

I'm very new to AE and have gone through the series here on Creative Cow (awesome but quite advanced)and the essentials. I'm slowly going mad from this. I'm after a template or tutorial that can guide me through the production that can autorotate through the cubic pano with a camera dead center.

The main problem that I have (sheer incompetence at AE) is that I can't seem to get the camera to pan through the image at the same rate of speed. ANY suggestions for this beginner (other than quiting and going home) are VERY welcome!

Ben Kim

Return to posts index

Bruce WainerRe: Cubic Panoramas in After Effects confusion
by on Feb 20, 2010 at 7:10:32 pm

try removing all animation from the camera, putting the camera in the center of the cube, creating a 3d null at the center of the cube, and parenting the camera to the null. Then just animate the rotation of the null - the camera should pan (I'm not sure which dimension to rotate on, I usually just experiment)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Cubic Panoramas in After Effects confusion
by on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:31:01 pm

Also, the COW's not really your best place for tutorials if you have no AE experience. You should try this page. It links to a lot of great resources, including this wonderful page.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Benedict KimRe: Cubic Panoramas in After Effects confusion
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 1:35:58 pm

thank you both for you help. in the end i've managed to build my little cube world, parent it to a null, and created a camera in the center. it didn't work. after that i created ANOTHER camera (as in the "creating a cube world video") and then positioned THAT in the center and rotated around the y axis using the layer/transform/rotate function. it did work.

thanks bruce for pointing me in the right direction. michael, i will take your advice and study the other sites as well. i think i REALLY like this program and will be learning to use it more. it adds a whole new dimension to my spherical panoramas. love this forum!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved