ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Keying blurred edges

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John KnowlesColor Keying blurred edges
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:39:11 pm

Hi all,

I've been busy pulling keys on some greenscreen footage I directed for a music video, shot on the Canon 7D at 1080p24. My subject was a guy in a black hoodie who was waving his arms around. His outline keys pretty well but his hands are a mess; the blurring caused by the movement and DOF, coupled with the camera compression, has left me with some very blurry outlines that Keylight can't quite nail down.

I'm no expert at keying but I've been able to do pretty well with the basic settings of Keylight so far (clip black, clip white, pre-blur, edge shrink, etc.) but these fingers are tricky. Is there something in the advanced settings that may help, or another technique altogether? Or am I just kinda screwed here?

Sample images:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Color Keying blurred edges
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:47:44 pm

I'll guess it's just a matter of removing the green. You don' want the key to be any tighter around the hand or you lose the motion blur.

You might try duplicating the key layer, animating a garbage matte around the hand, and simply adding multiple instances of AE's built-in spill suppressor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: Color Keying blurred edges
by on Feb 20, 2010 at 5:10:55 am

Using Keylight you might be able to control the color of that area by adjusting the various controls.

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Color Keying blurred edges
by on Feb 21, 2010 at 5:20:15 am

you can also, in your case, use the change color to adjust green to a grey or subtract saturation.
If its a high end client, (did I say that? crap.....) I would hand matte a lot of the frames or use a tool like PV feather from re-vision....

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved