ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding z-depth to your logo - can not animate logo afterwards

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Tolaas
Adding z-depth to your logo - can not animate logo afterwards
on Feb 19, 2010 at 12:43:16 pm

Hello. I have made added z-depth to my logo using shatter, ater Roland Kahlenbergs tutorial here
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kahlenberg_roland/3d_logo_extrude.p...

The thing is that when I have precomposed the logo, I can not move, scale or rotate the logo, I can only move my camera around it.

So that makes it hard to put it into 3d-space when I can not move the object.

I precompose it with a camera, otherwise I do not see my logo...
I can scale and rotate if I dont put on Collapse Transformations, but then I do not get the logo as 3d.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Adding z-depth to your logo - can not animate logo afterwards
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:35:54 pm

To be honest, using Shatter to create a 3d logo could be considred a hack of the effect. It's not really intended to do that. Shatter, as its name suggests, is intended to shatter things.

There are other ways to create a logo that can be scaled and moved.

Make a precomp of your logo then duplicate the precomp a bunch of times and offset each duplicate a pixel in z space. Eventually, you'll have a 3d-looking logo. Parent all of them to a null object and you'll be able to animate it. (If you want to be really cool, you can add an expression control slider effect to the null and tie the scale of the logo in the precomp to it with an expression.)

Or, if you want a really good-looking 3d logo, you can always go the plug-in route. The one I use is Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator. It is spectacular.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]