ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

WMV exported video has incorrect length

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredrik Bergström
WMV exported video has incorrect length
on Feb 19, 2010 at 10:01:10 am

Hi,

We have noticed that when we export WMV video from After Effects the length of the video will not match the length defined in After Effects.

If we export some video that should be 15 seconds long, and then load the WMV video into ASFView it will tell us that the video is 15:460 (15 seconds and 460 ms) long.

Any ideas on why this is happening? If we check the meta data (made by After Effects) of the WMV then it will say that the file is 15:000 long.

It does not matter if the video is 30, 60, or 123 seconds long, it will still be 460 ms to long.

I do think that the actual video stream in the file has the correct length, but that the header is incorrect in some way.

/Regards, Fredrik

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: WMV exported video has incorrect length
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:52:43 pm

I'm not sure why you're seeing the length mismatch, but exporting WMV directly out of AE is not the best workflow.

After Effects is not a great compression application. It's incapable of multi-pass compression, which would generate much cleaner WMV files -- less blocking, less banding, and smaller file sizes.

A better workflow is to render lossless animations from AE and bring them into a third-party compression application, like Telestream Episode or Sorenson Squeeze, or Microsoft's free WMV encoder.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: WMV exported video has incorrect length
on Feb 19, 2010 at 3:16:45 pm

[Walter Soyka] "A better workflow is to render lossless animations from AE and bring them into a third-party compression application, like Telestream Episode or Sorenson Squeeze, or Microsoft's free WMV encoder. "

Or the Adobe Media Encoder.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]