ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Import into avid colors wrong

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger BurtonImport into avid colors wrong
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:33:50 am

Hi chaps ... I have sent a client a quicktime render from AE on a DVD (Animation codec 1024x576 PAL) and he says when he imports it into his Avid the colours are all wrong - he recalls that when I sent him a project some months ago and included an 'Anamorphic' version of the render (ie squished to 4x3) he reckons the 4x3 was OK but the 12x9 was rubbish colour-wise ... anyone any ideas please / Regards Roger (I can, of course rerender at 4x3 but wondered if there was anything he could do at the import to Avid end)

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Import into avid colors wrong
by on Feb 20, 2010 at 2:27:48 am

give him all the specs of your render... include the color space (most likely rgb 0-255), frame size, pixel aspect ratio, field order (or progressive) and if it has an alpha channel. all those need to be set on import into avid.

another option is to render to an avid codec.... i haven't dealt with hd for avid, but in sd, the avid meridien 1:1 codec would automatically include all that file data, so it made importing it brainless on the edit side.

that codec is sd only, but avid has dnxhd for hd. i assume that dnxhd would keep the same data. it is a lossy codec, but it is a very good one (has better specs than apple's prores). it also supports alpha. it s free download from avid, just do a search on their site for codecs or dnxhd. you'll render a quicktime, but choose dnxhd as the codec and set the specs.

i would consider at least including a dnxhd file the next time you send him your renders.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: Import into avid colors wrong
by on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:18:49 am

Jeez Kevin, thanks so much for your comprehensive reply, I'll have a look at all that, I was at a loss to offer him any advice and he's the sort that won't bother digging around himself ... good of you to take the time and have a good weekend Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved