ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating a "Line Drawing" effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott MorrisonCreating a "Line Drawing" effect?
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:29:34 pm

Forgive my noob-ness. I am trying for an effect which will appear to be someone drawing on a piece of paper (no hand or pen, just the lines). I tried a wipe effect on a layer with existing lines, but wasn't what I was looking for. Is there a way for a line to be smoothly painted along a path on a layer so it appears to be animated or drawn in front of your eyes? I cannot seem to figure it out. Probably very obvious... thanks for your patience.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Creating a "Line Drawing" effect?
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:33:39 am

There are a number of ways to do that. Examples are ...

Apply the Vector Paint effect, draw in the comp window and change the effect setting to Animate Strokes.

Draw masks in the comp window with the Pen Tool, apply the Stroke effect (or Scribble) and animate the start or end parameters of the Stroke or Scribble effect.

Draw on a piece of paper, scan it in, key out (or use a blending mode to get rid of) the white background, animate masks to sequentially reveal different parts of the image.

Some methods are better than others for specific scenarios or desired looks and you'll probably need to adjust various controls of the effects mentioned and/or the masks (if any are used), but there are plenty of tutorials here and elsewhere that will give you detailed instructions for any method.

Return to posts index

Scott MorrisonRe: Creating a "Line Drawing" effect?
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:39:49 am

Thank you kindly David. Exactly what I was looking for.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating a "Line Drawing" effect?
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:39:48 pm

For your current issue, you might find this helpful.

For your self-proclaimed n00bness, you WILL find this helpful.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved