ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Whats the difference of video editing and compositing?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jako Krull
Whats the difference of video editing and compositing?
on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:08:06 pm

Whats the difference between video editing and compositing?

Hello, sorry for wasting your time for something like this but what ive read so far has not helped me at all. I dont see a difference between the two... can someone please tell me as easy as possible what are the main differences between compositing, motion graphics and video editing... thanks!

Return to posts index

Theo Veltman
Re: Whats the difference of video editing and compositing?
on Feb 19, 2010 at 12:45:26 am

Editing = Cut a piece of footage and remove/add a bit in the middle.

Composting = Take an object that isn't in the footage and put it there.

Motion graphics = take an inanimate object and animate it.

About as simple as I can make it. All of these thing are of course far more complex than this.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:43:55 am

I like Theo's answer. Let me try.

Compositing: Joining images together in space to make one image, almost always after cutting out some of the areas of each.

Video editing: Joining pieces of one or movies together in time to make one movie, almost always after cutting out some of the durations of each.

Motion graphics: Moving images around in space and time, almost always after creating some of the images from synthetic, graphic elements.

BTW, visual effects is kind of a splash of motion graphics with a lot of compositing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:51:36 pm

So far so good. Here's my go, with very narrow definitions:

Video editing: cutting and re-ordering unaltered video and audio clips in time. The metaphor is horizontal.

Compositing: stacking visual elements over each other, at least two of which appear simultaneously. The metaphor is vertical.

Motion graphics: editing and compositing abstract visual elements.

Visual effects: compositing elements over shot footage to give the impression they were present when the footage was shot ... simulating reality in the world of the story.

Most of what we do is a mix of those.
There should be audio equivalents, such as "multi-track editing" for "compositing".
I left out Color Timing and applying effects to footage for a weird effect. Oh, well. I said my definitions were narrow.

Return to posts index

Jako Krull
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:50:40 pm

Thank you very much you gave me the best answer I could ever wish for!Thanks to everybody else aswell ;)!

Return to posts index

Jako Krull
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:49:28 pm

thank you all for your help, I finally got the point! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Feb 19, 2010 at 7:51:29 pm

So, which one is most enticing as a career path? ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]