ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing someone from a movie scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ritchard Summers
Removing someone from a movie scene
on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:05:49 pm

I want to completely remove someone from my movie in AE Pro 7 and replace them with someone else in the same scene. I know it has something to do with masking, but I can't remember exactly how you do it. Any advice? Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Removing someone from a movie scene
on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:27:17 pm

[Ritchard Summers] "I want to completely remove someone from my movie in AE Pro 7 and replace them with someone else in the same scene..."

Welcome to the difficult, painstaking, tedious and time-consuming world of rotoscoping!
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS39e706a46ad531be1172e0812179...
Did I make it sound appealing? No? There's a good reason why -- it isn't.

Isn't there an easier way to do it? You know, one where I wouldn't have to work too hard? Not really. Not if you want to do precisely what you state above, there isn't!

Well, isn't there a plugin or something that can do it? Nope. Abandon hope, all ye who enter into Roto-World! Okay, it's not THAT bad, but you would do yourself a GIANT favor by looking over every stinkin' item in the link above before you choose to jump into the deep end of the pool.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Removing someone from a movie scene
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:14:05 pm

I had to do this once for an independent film. It was a rather effects-laden film as it was, but the director and editor ended up making a lot more effects shots than necessary, here's one thing they did:
In one scene they chose to use a shot (because they liked the way the actors said a certain line) and in this shot another actor, who thought the cameras had stopped rolling, came back into the shot and started goofing around.

I had to do what you're going to have to do. Find a blank plate of the shot (or at least a blank part of where the person is) and rotoscope the person out so you just see the plate behind them.
If the person doesn't cross any other people, it can be a very loose rotoscope job without requiring too much effort.
However, if anything moves in front of him...

Read everything in the link Dave posted.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]