ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

xdcam flash

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darin Morash
xdcam flash
on Feb 18, 2010 at 4:39:01 pm

Hi there,

I'm working on a project in After Effects CS3. I'm using footage shot on a Sony xdcam EX3. The settings are 1920 X 1080 29.97fps. the footage was imported through final cut, leaving the native dimensions and imported into after effects off the capture scratch of final cut.
now i have a small mask on the shot and when i do a ram preview, on one frame of the video, the levels change. It's like a flash were the contrast raises 10 divisions. I'll take the mask off, and it renders o.k. Turn the mask back on and i get the flash again, but this time in a different spot on the video, take the mask off and it's fine. Any thoughts? There are no effects on this video other than the mask.

Also if i render it out to a quicktime movie, the flash is there.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: xdcam flash
on Feb 18, 2010 at 4:50:06 pm

[Darin Morash] "...the footage was imported through final cut, leaving the native dimensions and imported into after effects off the capture scratch of final cut. "

Did you import in xdcam's native acquisition codec or in ProRes? It can make a big difference in AE, and here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darin Morash
on Feb 18, 2010 at 5:08:01 pm

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, it was imported using the native XDCAM codec.

Return to posts index

Darin Morash
on Feb 18, 2010 at 5:14:52 pm

Hi,

me again. I converted it to Pro Res and yes that dumb flash is gone. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]