ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Photoshop Sequence Missing Frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan NelsonPhotoshop Sequence Missing Frames
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 3:27:41 am

I can't seem to get After Effects to import Photoshop Sequences properly. I try importing the files as footage but it skips every forth frame. I'm working with a lot of frames so it's very frustrating. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Photoshop Sequence Missing Frames
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 2:39:34 pm

AE is normally quite good about working with image sequences. We'll need a lot more information to help diagnose the problem.

How were the files made? Are the filenames perfectly consistent? Is there anything different about the frames it's skipping? Any disk permission issues? Can you open the skipped frames in Photoshop?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dan NelsonRe: Photoshop Sequence Missing Frames
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 5:46:17 pm

Thanks for the response. I exported a photoshop sequence from after effects using the "make movie" rendering tool. I then opened all the files in photoshop, modified them, and then tried to import them as a photoshop sequence. I tried importing them as a composition and as footage with and without the "force alphabetical" option. It seems it be consistent in skipping every fourth frame when I import the files back in. The only work around I can think of is to import all the files and make the sequence myself.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2010 at 6:34:54 pm

Are you getting an error message on import, or does it seem to be missing frames visually? If the latter, how are you confirming it's every fourth frame? Are you using the same frame rate throughout your project?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:16:28 pm

I don't get any error on import. When I bring it back into project and drop it in the composition it's visibly shorter than the in and out points I exported it from.

Then when I compare it to the footage it exported from (by comparing the frames of each layer, looking frame by frame) I notice that it starts to skip frames starting with the fourth frame, and then every 4th after that is skipped as well.

I have no problems when bringing in the photoshop files individually, and have been having this problem for a little while now. I normally don't work with as many frames though, so I'll just piece it together myself, but now it's becoming quite a hassle.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Photoshop Sequence Missing Frames
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:34:43 pm

Now, you HAVE opened the folder where the sequence in question is located, and you HAVE inspected the file names and have confirmed that the missing frames of the sequence are indeed missing, correct?

Unless I've misread the thread, that hasn't been established yet.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:55:47 pm

All the frames are there in the folder. If I import them all and put them in a composition frame by frame they would match up to the right length without missing frames.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2010 at 8:00:54 pm

Are you sure it's being interpreted at the proper frame rate? It would be shorter if it were a 23.976 fps image sequence being interpreted at 29.97 fps.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2010 at 8:07:57 pm

I didn't even know there was preference for it. Changed the frame rate to 23.976 under Preferences>Import and it solved my problem. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:14:16 pm

[Dan Nelson] "Changed the frame rate to 23.976 under Preferences>Import and it solved my problem."

Just for your reference, you can also use Interpret Footage to change the frame rate on an item without re-importing.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]