ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Please help- How to make footage under mask move with the mask path?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lincoln WaldronPlease help- How to make footage under mask move with the mask path?
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 2:57:59 am

Can anyone please help me?
Im in a major bother.

I am trying to track sunglasses to a face and have images within the glasses. like on the link

Anyway- I thought this is the way to do it (which im having problems with)

ok so I have my footage of a face with glasses.
and I have got a grey image dropped the opacity and drawn a mask around the glasses, keyframing it and adjusting every frame so it is tidy (making a path).
When finished, I increase the opacity and pre comp the Grey solid which is now a perfect shape of my glasses.
Then within that grey pre comp I wanted to add images etc...that show through the glasses.

The problem is- when I Motion track my Grey pre comp to the face, I thought it would keep everything in the grey layer in the same spot- but the mask just floats over everything in the grey pre comp layer.

Meaning that I cant get all my animations within this precomp to rotate with the head etc..

Does this makes sense?

I just want my mask and images to all rotate and move in sync with the face when it moves (Tracking it?).

How do I do this?

my project is due fri :(

Return to posts index

Stuart ElithRe: Please help- How to make footage under mask move with the mask path?
by on Feb 18, 2010 at 3:30:56 am

Ok, I think I understand what you're doing, and what you're asking for. If I understand correctly, then you've ALMOST got it right.

So you've rotoscoped (traced) the glasses, so now you've got a grey covering that moves with the glasses and looks right, yeah?

Now you've tracked that to the face, and instead of sticking it's flying about wildly?

If that's the case, your problem is that you're basically DOUBLING the movement of the person... the first step, where you did all the masking, followed the motion of the person so if you're now moving the WHOLE LAYER then you can see there's the doubled motion. Not needed (or good!).

Instead, you want to track your IMAGES to the person's movement, so they move and rotate along with the glasses.
Then, use the gray masked layer as a Track Matte for the images, which will mean that they are basically masked by it, and since they're moving in time with the person, it should be right.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved