ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Changing colour . . .

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elle WatersChanging colour . . .
by on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:38:08 pm

Hello, I really need someone’s help with a project I'm working on for college.

First I should let you know I have little to no experience with after effects so try not to get to technical with your explanation if you decide to help me out !

Basically I have some footage of a lake and I need to make the water look like its purple, yet keep everything else in the frame in its original colour. So far I've only been able to do this on a single frame in photoshop, but I assume there is a way of applying it to all frames with after effects ?

That's all I need to know, hope someone can give me instructions !

Thank you

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Changing colour . . .
by on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:07:42 pm

Check out the Change To Color effect.

I found this by doing this search for the words in your question.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Changing colour . . .
by on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:33:03 pm

If the change color effect doesn't work because of your footage (often lakes with reflections have too much variation on their color), you can duplicate your footage and use a mask to cut out the lake. (Or use an adjustment layer and cut out the shape of the lake in it.) Then on the duplicate (or the adjustment layer) apply CC Toner or Colorama, Hue/Saturation or any number of color correction effects you want to get the lake the color you need. If the camera moves, you'll need to animate the mask. And if objects cross in front of the lake you will need to duplicate your footage layer and place it over the colorization layer and animate masks to cut them out from the footage. This is called rotoscoping.

Also, welcome to the world of AE! It's a very fun, but very complicated program. It's not easy to dive head first into it. Much easier to learn the basics. Here's a good place to start. It links you to some very good tutorials.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Elle WatersRe: Changing colour . . .
by on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:16:04 pm

That's great, thank you so much !!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved