ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HoW can this effect be recreated in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick BronteHoW can this effect be recreated in AE?
by on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:00:37 am

The French film "Days of Glory" starts of with what looks like a black and white, still photograph of an east African landscape. This is on screen for a couple of seconds before a gust of wind blows a whole lot of sand off it to reveal the same image in colour which is really a long shot [moving] that then starts to zoom in.

How would you create this transition in AE? The sand starts off as black n white but turns yellow as it starts to reveal the moving image underneath. So it looks like the initial black n white image turns to sand at the same time it's being blown off a colour image.

If I can work out how to create this "sand transition" I'd like to use it with still images only....

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How can this effect be recreated in AE?
by on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:51:58 pm

Hello, I noticed you posted at VideoCopilot.net as well. I'll tell you pretty much the same thing I told you there:
Create your yellow/sand color effect on your layer with CC Toner.
Then add hue/saturation and keyframe it. That's how to get it to go from black and white to sandy color. (There are also TONS of other ways to do it, but that one's the fastest to explain.)
As far as blowing away like sand, there are several tutorials that could help with that.
There are tons of possibilities including some here at the COW; you'll need to pick the right one for your situation.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Patrick BronteRe: How can this effect be recreated in AE?
by on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:55:11 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for replying to my questions/posts.

I plan to use old black n white photos and use the "sand blowing away" effect as a transition. So the sand blows away/off one black n white photo to reveal another one. So in this case the photo [that the sand reveals] will only be sand coloured for a very short time, as the sand effect blows across the photo it will be black n white.

Or to simplify things - the sand effect would be the only element in colour. Would a screen shot help explain myself to you?

Your right about the amount of tuts out there.....most are related to text, hopefully it wont be to hard to create a solid layer.

Thanks again Mike.

Regards,

Pat

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How can this effect be recreated in AE?
by on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:00:44 pm

Most any of the "text blows away like sand" tutorials will also work for still pictures.

I think I understand you. You want a black and white picture to dissolve away into sand and you want the sand, as it blows away, to become sand-colored.

That is simple to do; just apply a color correction of some description to the sand layer and keyframe it up as it blows away. Or, depending on what method you're using, do the coloring in the precomp that is your picture, but use a linear wipe of some sort to match the sand blowing away.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Patrick BronteRe: How can this effect be recreated in AE?
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:04:10 am

Hi Michael,

i've been trying to contact you to ask you a question or two......what is the technique called when you cut out a still image and stick it on a video clip? What i really want to figure out how to do is take a simple still graphic from photoshop, take it into AE as a layer and "paste" onto the back of a helmet so it looks like its been there all the time. The guy in the video clip wearing the helmet dosnt move round to much, i guess the hardest part is getting it to curve around the shape of the helmet. Is there a particular name for this? and a series of steps to pull it off?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiMotion tracking
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 2:13:02 pm

[Patrick Bronte] "what is the technique called when you cut out a still image and stick it on a video clip?"

Motion tracking.

[Patrick Bronte] "The guy in the video clip wearing the helmet dosnt move round to much, i guess the hardest part is getting it to curve around the shape of the helmet. Is there a particular name for this? and a series of steps to pull it off?"

It's still motion tracking. Although, a better name would be "reshoot". It will be much easier to reshoot it with the thing on his helmet than it will be to pull off this motion track.
No; there is no series of steps I can suggest, because it all depends on what happens in the shot. AE has it's own built in motion tracker and the new version of AE ships with Mocha, a new motion tracker that works differently. There are tutorials for each.

Your problem though, is going to be that your guy may move in 3d space, and if he turns his head, you're going to have a bear of a time getting the track to look realistic in AE. Most of the time, to do something like this, will require a 3d motion tracking tool and a 3d program. You would have to create the shape of a 3d helmet in your 3d program and match the movement of the 3d helmet to the actual movement of the guy in the shot and then apply the sticker to that 3d helmet shape you created.

Again, I can't see the shot and each motion tracking shot provides its own set of issues. Some are way easier than others.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Patrick BronteRe: Motion tracking
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:29:36 am

thanks Michael,
would you mind me emailing you directly? the footage is from a 1960s archive so no chance of a reshoot....the guy hardly moves his helmet. the shot is of the back of the pilot who is facing the front, then as he turns his head 90 degrees it would reveal the image....

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Motion tracking
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:50:06 pm

[Patrick Bronte] "would you mind me emailing you directly?"

I'm not a huge fan of emailing off of the forums, as a large reason for the existence of these forums is the education of others. There are millions of hits on the COW every day, so a large percentage of our visitors are merely readers. A lot of questions are answered by people who search or read through our forums and don't end up needing to ask their question. Private assistance would shrink the available audience for the instruction by tens of millions. I was a lurker myself for several years while I learned the program.

[Patrick Bronte] "the guy hardly moves his helmet."

It's surprising how much somebody actually moves when they don't look like they're doing much. However, when you go to rotoscope or motion track you suddenly find that they're actually moving quite a bit.

[Patrick Bronte] "the footage is from a 1960s archive so no chance of a reshoot."

Of course you can reshoot. Unless the person is someone known to the audience, there's no reason not to shoot your own version. I mean, obviously you're not going for strict documentarian standards with your footage since you're adding stuff to the shot. However, I do realize that it would either require building something of a set or doing some green screen work, so I understand if you want to paste it digitally.

[Patrick Bronte] "the shot is of the back of the pilot who is facing the front, then as he turns his head 90 degrees it would reveal the image"

I was afraid of that. If he turns his head fast enough, you might be able to pull it off, but I can see that turning of the head being a rather difficult task. You may end up spending more time on this one shot than the entire rest of the project. The only thing I can suggest is to start working on it and see how it turns out. There are multiple ways you can try it, so give them a shot. If his helmet is very round and your logo (or whatever) is going to have to follow the curve of the helmet, things will be worse.

Once his head is turned you can (probably) do normal motion tracking of his helmet to keep the logo where it belongs, but that turn is probably going to have to be tracked by hand. (You can try Mocha, but it's likely going to be frame by frame by hand by you.)

To get the curve, you can try CC Cylinder (you may need to put Grow Bounds ahead of CC Cylinder so you can make a "larger cylinder" so that your logo is only slightly curved). You may not need that though, depending on the shape of the helmet and the size of your logo. Perhaps just a 3d rotation will be all that's required. Again, it depends on how he moves.

I would just suggest you read up on motion tracking (here's a nice selection of Mocha tutes) and start getting stuck in.

Although, now that I think about it, what about filming just somebody's head turning (with your logo in place) on a green screen and just replacing the person, or just replacing the person's head (and neck...if needed)? A bit of keying, a bit of rotoscoping, and motion track the new head to the shot...it would probably look better than trying to do a 3d head turn track (so long as you match the lighting).

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:06:03 am

Michael, please excuse that question about emailing you directly.....you have a good point. Now that I've received some great advice it's time to run with it and get stuck in and give it a go. I have been playing around with motion tracking in Apples Motion which was easier than expected. All I did though was match a letter to the back of the helmet as it moved forward and to the left. it didn't look to bad...

Thanks heaps Michael.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Motion tracking
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 2:46:18 am

No problem. You're not the first person to ask the direct email question. I'm glad you see the benefit of forum-ing it.
I'm also glad to hear your shot's tracking's not too hard. It should be pretty fun then. :)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2010 at 2:52:19 am

it was only easy because i was usng a test clip with basic motion....i'm trying out my clip which is more of a challenge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]