ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color Correction Suggestions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Klein
Color Correction Suggestions
on Feb 16, 2010 at 7:24:53 pm

Hello. I have some video footage that is EXTREMELY red due to the lighting at the place it was shot. I'm hoping to get the color back to as "normal" as possible. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here is a sample frame from the footage...
http://closertoinfinity.com/_download/pic.jpg

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Color Correction Suggestions
on Feb 16, 2010 at 7:54:44 pm

Sorry Jeff, but no.

Look at that jpg in Photoshop. There is absolutely no color information in the blue or green channels on the upper half of the luminance range. And barely any at all until you get down to the black end of things.
This means there is no color information to work with. This whole image is red.
(If your director/client wanted "normal" colors, why did they shoot under that lighting? Why did they not white balance? This seems poorly planned out on their part. Do they seriously think you can fix their problem?)
Short of desaturating the whole thing and colorizing it like an old movie, you are not getting natural color out of this.

Now, you could do tons of really interesting stylization.
For example (using that frame you posted), if you apply hue/saturation and use the drop-down to only effect the reds and desaturate it completely, everything is black and white except for the pink light hitting his face. That could look really cool.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:04:47 pm

Hey Michael, thanks for the response. What you said is exactly what I expected to hear, but thought I'd throw out the question in case anyone had a miracle answer.

To answer your question, the client only paid for a photo shoot, the video was taken secondarily and more or less for fun. It was hoped that something could be done with that video, and like you said, it looks like some sort of stylized version it the only option...but ya, that could end up being cool.

Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:42:01 pm

We're a little slow today, so one of the guys here is playing around with it just for fun. If he gets anything interesting, I'll let you know.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:45:32 pm

Cool, thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:52:58 pm

Now, if you DO decide to go with the red, and this video is destined for TV, DVD or Blu-Ray, you may have to pull those red levels down a tiny bit or you're going to get noise in the picture. To my broadcast TV-sensitized eye, those reds look illegal as all heck.

Have a look at this thing on the vectorscope included with Color Finesse or look at the scopes in your NLE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:57:45 pm

Here's a .PSD file that shows some improvement. (Sorry, I wish we could spare our AE color guy for you on this.)

553_impossiblecoloringjob.psd.zip
BEFORE:

AFTER:

You'll have to pick apart the Photoshop document to see what's going on, but he mostly did this by using copies of the footage, desaturated and then colored and overlayed at various opacities and various blending modes. It could all be recreated in AE pretty easily.
The background lighting would probably have to be animated in AE with a really feathered mask.

The key is to get the skin color as natural as possible, because there's nothing we humans know more than other humans. Then you can try to get the background to have a slightly different tone to set him off.
Our artist kept snickering as he was working on it, mumbling stuff about getting a different lighting person and a different camera person. I told him this was from a photoshoot and wasn't originally intended to be a used video. He seemed somewhat mollified by this.

Hope this helps. :)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:13:34 pm

Wow, Michael! Two-strip Technicolor!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:15:51 pm

Thanks a lot, this looks pretty damn cool, I appreciate it. I've been messing with some stuff myself and I think a stylized version like this is definitely an option, however in the end it will prob end just being good old black and white.

To answer Dave's question, this will be for web.

Thanks to all of you!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:25:33 pm

Dave, yeah, you like it?

Jeff, my coworker says, "Yeah it's damn cool. Tell him for $150 an hour, we'll do the whole thing for him." :) I'm glad we could help out.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Philip Imbrenda
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:40:55 pm

We shoot a couple Country Rock bands some years ago with a Canon Scoopic 16 MM they had Pyro effects going on and a host of other things after the film was developed we found that a small bit of film some got stuck in the frame gate and appeared as a tiny triangle at the bottom of every frame, after spending many hours of trying to make it right with some success we decided to Re Shoot the bands at our expense, the stuff came out great and everyone was happy plus our client still calls us for work.It might be Faster and cheaper to just re-shoot the Group. It is your work that people will judge you by.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:56:58 pm

Hey Jeff,

I think I recognize this group. What is their name?

thx

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID Externaal, 4TB Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 20 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:02:45 pm

I don't know if I'm supposed to say, which is why I cropped some dude named Axl out of the sample frame.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]