ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating exansive floors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Tunnell
Creating exansive floors
on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:08:52 pm

One of the problems that causes me great angst, is creating expanive floors in AE through which my camera can travel and give a sense of motion and scale.

In his Sure target test footage, Andrew Kramer, as usual pulls it off.

Sure Target Test

He never explains how he does it. I have tried large solids, small smaller solids expanded with CC repetile or the Motion Tile plug-ins, only to run in to render problems. If I make the objects in the scene smaller, then you run into problems of scale.

Does anybody know how AK did it? Do you have any tricks that might work? If you know of any techniques, resources or tutorials, please let us know.

Thanks,

David Tunnell
TunnellVision Productions

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Creating exansive floors
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:12:25 am

MOtion Tile is one way to do it. PArenting the floor to te Camera is another. If the floor texture is created internally within AE (Fractal Noise) then you can use an Expression to link the plugin's Offset property to the Camera.

Oftentimes, Motion Tile will fail if there is insufficient RAM.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:29:03 pm

I appreciate the reply. I am running AE CS4 on an XP machine in 32 bit with ram maxxed at 2 gigs.

Perahps I am missing something, but parenting the floor to the camera, makes it looks as though the floor never moves no matter what the camera does?

In the AK example, it appears as if the camera is moving through the environment, plus AK has manages to make it appear as iff the floor fades into the distance.

Can you point me to where I might learn about the expression for linking the camera?

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:37:42 am

[David Tunnell] "Perahps I am missing something, but parenting the floor to the camera, makes it looks as though the floor never moves no matter what the camera does?"

It works under certain circumstances when you don't need the floor to react to camera movements.

Fading the fllor is probably done using COmpound Blur which allows you to blur areas selectively.

Try working with different camera settings for field of view. It doesn't look like you need a large setup area and 2GB of RAM should be sufficient - I think.

I always thought Andrew provides a project files along with his tutorials.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on Feb 19, 2010 at 2:36:29 pm

AK includes project files for his tutorials, but the video I referenced was a Promo/Test for Sure Target 2. Often I am more interested in how he did the promo, than the product itself.:-) For example, his promo for Bullet.

I will keep experimenting with your suggestions.

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]