ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem with updating After Effect from 9.0 to 9.0.2

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mario KraljProblem with updating After Effect from 9.0 to 9.0.2
by on Feb 16, 2010 at 3:22:26 pm

Hello.
I installed Adobe Master Collection CS4 on a Windows7 machine around a month ago. I also installed lots of plugins for After Effects (they are all working on another machine) and generally everything works fine unless I am trying to update my adobe products...

Adobe Updater checks for updates, downloads them and installs... In the end I get a message that update was successful...

However, when i start AE, I can see in my splash screen that version is still 9.0... In About window it says: 9.0.0.346 dva: 2.0.0.16103

I tried to run AE update manually... The installer window opens and say:

Cannot install, please click the Quit Button...
Adobe After Effects CS4 Third party Content 9.0.2 - Already Installed
Adobe Dyamiclink Support 1 - Already Installed
Adobe After Effects CS4 9.0.2 - Already Installed

Similar things are happening with Encore, Flash, etc. updates....

Is there a way to install my updates without uninstalling/reinstalling the whole CS4 pack?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Problem with updating After Effect from 9.0 to 9.0.2
by on Feb 16, 2010 at 5:03:32 pm

Did you install After Effects (and/or other applications in Master Collection) to a location other than the default? In what folder is the After Effects application installed?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2010 at 6:47:10 pm

Also, was this a re-installation? I.e., had you already installed and then re-installed Master Collection CS4 or After Effects CS4?

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Mario KraljRe: Problem with updating After Effect from 9.0 to 9.0.2
by on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:59:51 am

Hello Todd and thanks for interest in my problem :)

To answer your questions:

i) I installed Master Collection to default location (c:\Program Files\Adobe\*)

ii) Well, actually, yes, it is re-installed... First I made a custom installation and installed few programs (AE, PS, FL, AI), but I forgot to install add-ons. Little later, I wanted to install only those add-ons, and I checked only them in installation, but suddenly, I found out that all the programs that were not checked were simply deleted!!! So I re-installed with carefully selecting what I need, and now I have all the components installed...

Hope this will help in finding solution...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:52:50 pm

OK. Go and get some coffee before reading this. It's going to be a long message, and you may have to read it slowly and more than once.

Here's what I got from one of the engineers when I asked about your issue:

Given that this was a re-installation, the problem is probably in the lingering presence of the updater file in the hidden Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobePatchFiles , though figuring out which one is a pain.

If, however, you have reinstalled everything, and no updaters are working, you can delete everything in that folder. If you are being selective, there is a more complicated way of figuring out which file in particular is the problem.

The specific payloads you are having trouble with are
{2769660E-F5FC-46E5-8776-B5F980663C1D} AE third party content
{4238F1B2-D7A1-4FAE-887C-379D491790D1} dynamic link support
{7B92D0BE-160D-4F7F-921C-0931D9D2EE9A} After Effects 9.0.2

If you delete those three folders, those particular updates should then succeed. For sanity's sake, you're better off starting over and making sure that entire folder is deleted.

This is likely to be what happened:

- You ran initial installer for some components.
- An update happened.
- At a later time, you ran the installer again, overwriting the updated applications with the originals.
- You then tried to update again, when there was already a record of the update happening in one of the three places where this sort of information is referenced (in this case, /.AdobePatchFiles).
- A new update doesn't see a record of the update in the main database, (caps.db) so it downloads the update, but when it goes to perform the update it runs into the evidence that the update has already been performed. (the file in /.AdobePatchFiles).
- Update fails.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:39:57 pm

This document also has some relevant information:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408524.html

Return to posts index

Mario KraljRe: Problem with updating After Effect from 9.0 to 9.0.2
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 11:02:03 am

Hello Todd and once more, thanks for helping me!

I did try to follow your steps but there's a small problem here...

In my AdobePatchFiles folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobePatchFiles\) i have these folders:
{5FCA20C7-2C75-4D4A-AA4B-0F2FD2BA74DB}
{9D3B686F-3676-46AB-9C7B-BD05FA897016}
{503DE1F8-46B8-4939-A0AF-5A156B124235}
{42290C2F-CF67-431A-8624-0F94966F8AAE}
{03466351-C544-47AB-AB80-DE7A1E2D3683}
{C7596008-2C9B-416D-AA8F-63C61DC2620F}
{F2323FC8-C86B-42C9-BFBD-6C7DFC41F670}

And there's none of those you mentioned... :(

However, I tried to delete the content of that folder (and the folder itself) and I got same error (I couldn't update)...

I tried to search for your files on my entire C: disk but I couldn't find them.... So I tried to search one of my files ({5FCA20C7-2C75-4D4A-AA4B-0F2FD2BA74DB}) just to see is there another folder with those records... And I found it in those 2 folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\uninstall\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\SharedSupport\

...but I'm not sure If I can safely delete content of those two or not....

Is there anything else I should try to do to successfully update? :(

Thank you very much for help!

mario

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2010 at 9:49:31 pm

copying and pasting a response from an After Effects engineer who just read your post:

"bugger. not sure If he is suggesting that he did find the files in question in the other locations, that is, did these three:
{2769660E-F5FC-46E5-8776-B5F980663C1D} AE third party content {4238F1B2-D7A1-4FAE-887C-379D491790D1} dynamic link support {7B92D0BE-160D-4F7F-921C-0931D9D2EE9A} After Effects 9.0.2

appear in the \uninstall or \sharedsupport folder?

if they do, they shouldn't be there. they should only be present on a machine that has successfully installed the update. if they are present, they should be deleted.

the other adobe codes he mentioned are for the other things he has installed and updated already. I recognize a few, (see below) but they should not be obstructing anything to do with after effects.

if that doesn't work, I suspect that given the repeated jiggering of the system, that it would be best to start clean. and in that case, I would recommend deactivating, uninstalling everything, finding all the shared adobe folders in Program Files, ProgramData, Program Files (x86), Program Files\Common Files Program Files (x86)\Common Files

and any adobe related files in any of his preference locations, \Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Adobe
\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

deleting them, then reinstalling from scratch. but the deactivating first is an important step.
"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]