ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Metal/Glass Etching for video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keri McClainMetal/Glass Etching for video
by on Feb 16, 2010 at 2:19:07 pm

Hey guys,
I am doing a project for a friend of mine wherein we are attempting to make video look as though it has been etched. I read on a different post that you could use high-contrast to achieve the effect, but I wonder if you need to shoot the video that way or if you can do it in After Effects. Any help would be appreciated.
Also, the whole idea of the video is that it is sort of "burned in" to the film, i.e. the idea in The Ring where the little girl makes videos with her mind. If anyone has any other suggestions of different effects to achieve this that would be great, too!

Keri McClain

Be brave. Be true. Stand. - SK

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Metal/Glass Etching for video
by on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:31:00 pm

One way to do an etched look would be to create a masked solid or a shape that looks like the etching. Use it as a track matte for a layer that has the texture of etching, and then apply a blending mode to that layer.

I'm not sure about shape layers (I don't hardly ever mess with them), but you can animate a mask to make it look like the etching is writing on.

If you want to get fancier, you can also use multiple masks on multiple gray-scale solids, precomp them and use the Luma Matte variant of a track matte, which will help you create the illusion of depth.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved