ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

scaling source footage without having to reposition the footage in comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph mullenscaling source footage without having to reposition the footage in comp
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:05:53 pm

I have a project that is using 4k image files which are layed out in in 2.D space and animated. The project is too heavy working with the 4k source files, so I want to scale them down to 2k (the project is HD). The problem is all the layers (of which there are many) have anchor points in different places, so if I attached everything to a null & scaled it 50% after i scaled down the source footage, everything would be off, and i'd have to reposition every element.
Is there an easier way to do this?
besides it being really hard to work with, the render times are also way too long, I need to get the time down to meet my deadline.

any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: scaling source footage without having to reposition the footage in comp
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 11:25:36 pm

i think if you created 2k proxies for the 4k images you could tell ae to render using the proxies (in the render settings, click best and override the proxy setting to use proxies).

you be able to easily create a batch operation in photoshop to scale them down to 2k (save as a different file rather than over the existing files), then in ae, right-click each image (or select from file menu) and select set proxy>file and choose the appropriate file.

this should keep all the same positioning, anchor points and other properties the same, but i would work on a copy of your current project first :)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

joseph mullenRe: scaling source footage without having to reposition the footage in comp
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 11:38:16 pm

thanks! i will try that.
I did make proxies originally of a lot of the precomps but kept having to go in and change stuff, so ended up turning them all off, but setting proxies of the original footage makes a lot more sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]