ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Psunami Plugin lighting and displacement problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent BovaPsunami Plugin lighting and displacement problems
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 7:34:23 pm

I'm new to the world of the Psunami plugin and I've hit a wall...

I am trying to have a pirate ship moving relatively fast in the ocean (it is supposed to be slowly moving from frame right to left.) I am not trying to have it REALLY move within the frame, it would be as if the camera is following it as it is giving chase, so I would like to have some water displacement happening with the boat itself, causing waves, etc... I don't really understand how the Image Map works to create this displacement. I've tried creating a 3d layer to act as the displacement map but I think I may be doing it wrong.

Also, and this is the big problem... I would like the sun to be setting on the right side of the frame, on a slight angle. Whenever I try using the camera within the plugin itself, the sun (and reflection) only moves in one direction, left or right. Same thing if I try to use Light Azimuth. I basically need the light to move as if it were tied to a point in the center of the frame, like a compass.

When I try to adjust the field of view within the camera settings to get "behind the light" it gives a really wide view of the ocean which just looks really bizarre, almost like a huge fish eye lens. (I essentially want the sun past frame right and want the light to reflect off the water toward the back end of the ship.

Any help is appreciated. I can elaborate if needed as well.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Nenad ZivanovicRe: Psunami Plugin lighting and displacement problems
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 2:53:30 pm

I have done something similar recently with Psunami:

Here I had to duplicate the boat layer together with those lights and scale the height of the new layer to -100 and then link all the boat layers to a null layer so that I could move the boat more easily.

On that layer you need to apply the displacement effect and link it to the water that is the layer with psunami effect on it.

You can see that the sun is also in the upper right corner but I didn't move the camera so I'm not sure about that other stuff.

Hope it makes sense

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved