ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

shatter effect with footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamid Rohi-Bilverdy
shatter effect with footage
on Feb 13, 2010 at 2:52:06 pm

hi.
Is it possible to put in a footage into one of the glas "splinters" which the shatter effect creates? E.g if i create i solid which will act as a window and i apply the shatter effect to it, and make the shatter effect shape to glasses, then when break it, i want to put in a footage into one of the pieces- or how should i approch this?

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: shatter effect with footage
on Feb 13, 2010 at 5:44:20 pm

You could try to duplicate the shatter layer and replace the footage for that layer with a pre-comp of the image you want to appear in the glass piece. Then mask or fade on the layer with the image at the appropriate time.

Replace footage by alt + drag from the project window onto the layer you want to replace in the timeline. This maintains all effects and adjustments to the layer and only replaces the source.

HTH

-E

Return to posts index

Hamid Rohi-Bilverdy
on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:04:56 pm

thanks for reply.
I tried to duplicate the layer and replaced the second layer with a precomp with the image i wanted to apear on one of the shattered piceas. Then i made a mask on one of the piceces, and from there nothing happend. It just leaves the yellow outlined lines from the mask and my image next to it.. How can i mask one of the picers on the shatter layer, i dont know if it is possible.. Please advice..

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Feb 14, 2010 at 2:25:56 am

One thing to keep in mind is that you can't mask a layer that the shatter effect is applied to because it will change the initial shape of the shatter to that of the mask and it won't work for what you are trying to accomplish. You have to pre-compose the layer with the effect (move all attributes option). Then you can mask out what you want to keep on the pre-comp.

The size of the layers and the settings in the shatter effect have to be identical for this to work because any variation will cause them to shatter in a different way and not match up.

The way I see this working is to have two pre-comps inside of your main comp:the pre-comp containing the original layer you are shattering; and the pre-comp of the pre-comp of the image you want to blend in.

At the point you want the image to blend in draw a mask around that piece and animate it to track the piece as needed. Then select the original shatter pre-comp layer and give it a full-screen mask (double-click the square mask tool button). Then go back to the image pre-comp and copy the mask and its animation and paste it on to original shatter pre-comp layer and set this second mask to "subtract" mode. From there it's just a matter of keyframing the mask opacities of both layers to blend the layers at the right time in your animation.

I've tried this and it does work but I used large chunks and masked out a piece that didn't have any other pieces next to it so it was fairly easy. Yours may be more difficult if you have lots of pieces flying around, but it is possible.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 14, 2010 at 6:14:58 am

oops, responded to the wrong thread.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]