ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

z Depth Problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gemma amosz Depth Problems
by on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:34:54 pm

I have rigged up a character in AE and began animating, but I need an arm to switch from behind the torso to in front of the torso. All layers are set to 3D but when it comes to manipulating the Z depth the arms wont appear in front of the torso, the same happens to the legs.

My characters set up is quiet simple, I have a few layers that are parented and have time remaps applied.
The arms and legs are being animated with the puppet tool and these pins each have a null and expression set to them to help the movement be more realistic.

However the layers will not show in front of the torso!

I hope someone can help

Return to posts index

Bob RootRe: z Depth Problems
by on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:41:45 pm

Are you using an adjustment layer for any of your layers? This can mess up the z-depth priority between 3D layers. It generally puts the adjusted layers at the back of the stack.

If this is the case, you may have to play with moving your torso layer backwards in your layer stack.

Return to posts index

gemma amosRe: z Depth Problems
by on Feb 12, 2010 at 10:44:45 pm

hi Bob,

I don't have any adjustment layers but null layers, the way I have rigged my character is as follows,

I have the legs with puppet pins, these pins are attached with expressions to three nulls for each point in the leg, the legs are then pre-comped and attached to a hip null, the same process for the arms apart from being attached to nulls they are attached to the torso.This is so the legs and torso can move independently.

The torso and leg null is then attached to a master null to control the whole body. Every other layer is parented in a hierarchy so they all move in conjunction with each other.

Will the nulls have the same effect as the adjustment layers stopping the 3d from having an effect?

I hope you understand

thanks for your kind help

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: z Depth Problems
by on Feb 13, 2010 at 6:06:47 pm

You will need to move ALL of your 2D layers to either the top or bottom of the layer stack, including nulls, adjustment layers, etc. If any 2D layers are mixed in with the 3D layers they can break the 3D layer stack and split it into two separate 3D worlds that cannot interact with each other.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved