ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Frame rate confusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Cave
Frame rate confusion
on Feb 12, 2010 at 4:30:02 am

Hello all, I'm exporting animations from a 3D app and adding it to my After effects composition which I'm then rendering in order to A) be burnt to HD DVD (1280x720) and played on a TV and B) Put on a USB stick to be played by individuals on home computers.

My questions are:
At what frame rate do I render my 3D animation?
What frame rate should my AE compositions be?
At what frame rate should the whole project be rendered for the DVD and for the USB stick?

I have to do this all tomorrow! Any insight will be very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Frame rate confusion
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:19:35 pm

[Brendan Cave] "Hello all, I'm exporting animations from a 3D app and adding it to my After effects composition which I'm then rendering in order to A) be burnt to HD DVD (1280x720) and played on a TV and B) Put on a USB stick to be played by individuals on home computers. "

HD DVD is a dead format -- did you mean standard definition 16:9 DVD, or high-def 16:9 Blu-ray?

You've got a couple choices on frame rates -- what video format do you want to target? What kind of TV will play the footage?

Where are you located? If you're in the US, you can work with Blu-ray at of 23.976, 24, or 29.97 frames per second. DVD can do 23.976 or 29.97 frames per second. It won't make much of a difference to the computers, but I'd probably lean towards 29.97, as it's much closer to an even divisor of the most common display refresh rate (60 Hz).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brendan Cave
Re: Frame rate confusion
on Feb 13, 2010 at 1:50:14 pm

Thanks Walter. Yeah, the DVDs seem to be playing fine. But the client is complaining of choppy playback on the computer (from a 25 fps .MOV file) Is there another reason this would be happening? Or will the 29.97 fps to fix this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]