ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

The infamous 3D Cube

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Mol
The infamous 3D Cube
on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:44:08 pm

Hi, all

I'm building a 3D cube in After Effects. I wonder if there's a tip anyone can share about constructing it with solids. I'm aligning my solids but there's a hole in the borders. I assume is for the anti-alias. I'm trying to overlap them a little, but that's creating a shadow.

Is there any trick I can try to make a clean 3D Cube or this borders are an unavoidable catch for working this way in After Effects?

Thanks for your time

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: The infamous 3D Cube
on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:09:52 pm

if you have them aligned perfectly but see a slight gap, try setting each side's blending mode to 'stencil alpha'.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Bob Root
on Feb 11, 2010 at 11:31:32 pm

You can also try the 'Alpha Add' blending mode.

This will take care of the gaps. However, if you have any lights in your scene, you will probably see some unwanted illumination along some of your connected edges.

There's probably a way around this, but I haven't come across it yet.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 12, 2010 at 6:02:01 pm

sorry, 'alpha add' is what i meant... thanks bob

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Theo Veltman
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:37:38 am

If you're just using solids you could make the cube quite big (2000x2000x2000 for example) so you can get the edges as accurately aliened as possible then put a null in the center parent all the solids to it and scale this down to the size you need it. Then any gap between the solids would in theory scale down to less than a pixel width, hopefully?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:27:24 pm

Indeed it's difficult to get rid off the artifacts in the borders. Alpha Add helps, but the lights mess all up. However, I'm tricking the design, testing different colors and borders for the cubes and I managed to get a decent look.

If I found a better solution I'll come back and share.

Thank you all for your time!

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]